Like Tree5Likes

Cheap international parcel postage?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cheap international parcel postage?

Hi,

I've seen recently threads discussing postage but my request is a bit different.

I want to post items (specifically VHS tapes in plastic boxes) for as cheapily as possible. I know some countries offer SAL which is verrrrry cheap airmail but as far as I can tell there's no such service in HK. I've read about EMS in HK but the website isn't helpful at all.

中国邮政速递物流

Does anyone know any cheap courier services or has anyone had experience with EMS?

Many thanks

Have you been to the post office to get an actual quote with a sample of what you are posting?

Quote Originally Posted by dave_van_damn:
    I've read about EMS in HK but the website isn't helpful at all.
    Because that's the EMS China website.....

Original Post Deleted
    I used the postage calculator on the site and thru quoted $150-something for a parcel.

Just used registered post if it is not that important? Or even regular air mail?

Hongkong Post - Postage Rates

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Just used registered post if it is not that important? Or even regular air mail?

Hongkong Post - Postage Rates
    Right but regular post for a parcel is $154 and Speedpost is $178! That's insane money for a VHS tape!

edit - I just searched for the same weight/dimensions but listing it as a small -packet and it's only $37 regular air (still $178 for $peedpost!). Maybe they'll let me send it as a small packet hmmm
    Last edited by dave_van_damn; 07-10-2015 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dave_van_damn:
    Right but regular post for a parcel is $154 and Speedpost is $178! That's insane money for a VHS tape!

edit - I just searched for the same weight/dimensions but listing it as a small -packet and it's only $37 regular air (still $178 for $peedpost!). Maybe they'll let me send it as a small packet hmmm
    2nd class mail works up to 2000g. Nothing written inside, letter can be opened and resealed. It's about 10% cheaper then regular airmail.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    2nd class mail works up to 2000g. Nothing written inside, letter can be opened and resealed. It's about 10% cheaper then regular airmail.
    But there are only 3 options on the site - Surface ($106), Air ($154) and Speedpost ($176). Or do you mean there are more options at the post office if I talk to them?

Ive posted larger items before (LPs) and I seem to get different prices each time I visit the post office! :P

You might have to send a VHS Player along with that tape.

I don't think you will find any courier service cheaper than what you get from Hong Kong Post. Send it by regular mail.

Even better, convert the VHS to digital format (mp4) and e-mail it over for free.

Last edited by Walter White; 07-10-2015 at 01:11 PM.
    imparanoic likes this.

No need to send small items as parcel. Just a letter is fine. Get a padded envelope, and remember the green CN22 sticker from the post office.

You can calculate the postage here: Hongkong Post - Postage Rates - Air/Surface Letter Mail Postage Rates - Air Mail

BTW, first I thought "VHS tapes, wtf..." but I then I remembered how useful they are in Cast Away.

shri likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast