Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Proplus

SD Card data recovery

Closed Thread

SD Card data recovery

Hi All,

I have an SD Card that I used in my Nikon camera. I happen to put it in my wallet for a day and I realized yesterday that its not working. My camera says that card is damaged and my pc doesn't detect it. Please could you let me know if you know of some good data recovery companies that don't cost a fortune. The photos are from my kids birthday and are precious.

Pls help

I quickly googled and these are few links I found, have you tried any of these?

http://www.intellirecovery.com.hk/
    https://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com.hk/
    http://www.harddisk.hk/main_e.htm
    http://www.dataexpert.com.hk/en/page/?key=SERVICES

thanks!

Last edited by bsc1280; 04-01-2016 at 02:36 PM.

For data recovery, our company normally refers people to OnTrack, but they are costly. But they do have a hotline you can call to get a quote first.

On a few occasions we have used Disk Drill, there's a PC version of the software. I'm not sure if that will help in your case as your PC cannot detect the SD card, but you can download the free limited version to see if it can see the files first, and if it can you can purchase the license key. It could be a matter of the partition that's become unmounted, so your data might still be all there.

If you feel uncomfortable in doing it yourself, I'm sure if you head into SSP or Wanchai there'll be stalls that can do data recovery, but they'll just be using software such as Disk Drill as well.

I once had that problem and I did sent the SD card to *** (I think it was Sandisk or Kingston, it was a few years ago) in Taiwan, and they managed to recover some pix.

Before that I did used some recovery tools too. I still lost quite a few pix.

Last time we used Intellirecovery it was in the low 5 figures (HKD 12-15K I think)

I got quote of 5k-12k from Intellirecovery and 3.5-5k from ontrack.
    its still very expensive

if my pc doesn't detect the card, would using those recovery softwares help? shall I even try wanchai computer centre (the danger is that they might just mess it up more)

Quote Originally Posted by bsc1280:
    if my pc doesn't detect the card, would using those recovery softwares help? shall I even try wanchai computer centre (the danger is that they might just mess it up more)
    Yes, software can sometimes still find the files. Your PC might not detect the SD card as the partition may have been corrupted slightly, with the files still there. Software like Disk Drill bypasses looking at the partition and looks for the files itself. I'd give it a whirl first, the trial version is free anyway, no harm in trying.

I once helped someone who hard reformatted their external hard disk by mistake which contained over 20000 photos from a holiday to watch the Northern Lights. Disk Drill found 99% of the photos. The biggest hurdle I hit was that a large batch of the photos were in fact shot in time lapse, and I took 2 days to get those photos back in the right order.
    wtbhotia likes this.

If it's physical damage, it may be more difficult but if it's just a card error you may still have a good chance.
    I had one of my SD cards fail while connected to a pc when I was on holiday a few years ago. 16gb worth of images lost. I tried paying a company something like 280 per hour to recover it but they said the card had issues and basically gave up on it.

I eventually downloaded Easus partition master which has a recovery tool. It takes ages and you won't be able to run other programs at the same time because it slows everything down but it has worked for me. I tried it several times, the first two times I got some images back, the third time I ran it I got all my pictures from that card. Video did not work though. I've also used it to recover 1tb worth of files from my external drive.

I think it's free. At least it was when I used it. Good luck recovering your data.
    Free Data Recovery Software Download to Recover Deleted Files - EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Free Edition