Like Tree4Likes

Best advice to buy or bring sewing machine

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best advice to buy or bring sewing machine

We want a simple sewing machine for occasional home use, preferably a 3/4. Do we bring or buy there? From what I've seen similar models are much more expensive in Hong Kong. The advantage of course is we don't need a transformer,
    What is the seasoned advice? Buy or bring?
    Thanks

Where are you moving from? I sew, have three machines including my overlocker and from experience, Janome is the best. Y u can have it serviced in HK as they are familiar with Janome. singer, I have been told to stay away from - I am in Sweden at the moment, and know stores and people who have been in the business for years, and given their advice, they are pretty upfront and honest compared with sale ppl in HK ( no doubt I will get criticism for this, but...speaking from experience, I go with the Swedish) - tired of being told this is good when it is not, it is the wrong fitting for my machine . You are best to buy your machine from your home country. I bought my Janome from John Lewis in London, just had it serviced, but my Pfaff from Oz, and but was told that HK does not have the technology to service an electronic sewing machine. Fortress does sell machines, but the sales guys I spoke to had no idea about how a sewing machine works. Best go for buying from your own country first if you have not moved yet, or go to JUKI in Sham Shui Po, cnr Lai Chi Kok Rd and Nam Cheong St. Also contact Melanie of the Sewing lounge in Sheung Wan, lvl 1 , 27 De Veoux Rd. She knows people and where to buy s sewing machine from.

Last edited by Natfixit; 04-02-2016 at 03:02 AM.

There are a few secound hand machine shops on Lai Chi Kok road - further up

Mamba

Sewing machines are expensive here. I brought mine with. The only thing you have to think about is storage. HK apartments are not huge and tailors are cheap. Ask yourself how much use you'd actually get out of it.

I tried using a "tailor" recommended to me by a friend, but most clothes just turned out badly sewn. Uneven or loose stitching, ill fitting, or too short a hem, so when I have time, I just sew myself. Space shouldn't be too much of an issue, as I used to cut out on our dining table, then sew, then store my machine away.

chingleutsch likes this.

I am looking for a sewing machine for the wife. All i see in Fortress is Brother. Didn't know those machines cost that much. Any brands that are good and available in HK which is are not Brother brands?

I think Aeon stock Janome.

I think I bought my Brother in Suning (not Fortress, anyway), so there are other outlets.

The non-computerised Brother machines shouldn't set you back more than about 2K: of course the shops want to flog the more expensive, computerised models, but I've never found I've needed one (am not into fancy, machine-done embroidery). The other advantage of the mechanical models is that anyone with 2 sticks of common sense can service one at home.

If I find myself relatively rich one day, and the dealership here is still in business (Hoi Fung Sewing Machine Co Ltd Tel: 2381 1663.), I'm going to upgrade to a Bernina

Quote Originally Posted by Cherbonnier:
    advantage of course is we don't need a transformer,
    Why you need a transformer? You are from a 110V place?

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    There are a few secound hand machine shops on Lai Chi Kok road - further up
    Yes there are, but I think they have mainly those professional heavy duty high speed factory machines. Very durable, but less functions (I guess).

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    Yes there are, but I think they have mainly those professional heavy duty high speed factory machines. Very durable, but less functions (I guess).
    There are a couple focussed on domestic machines. Next time I am out that way I'll get the address - Sewing machines seems to come up every year or so.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    There are a couple focussed on domestic machines. Next time I am out that way I'll get the address - Sewing machines seems to come up every year or so.
    I will keep my open on that.

PS: Nowadays the people that use sewing machines are called 'Makers'.
    East_coast likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast