Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Natfixit
  • 1 Post By Natfixit
  • 2 Post By Natfixit

Import wines from overseas

Red face Import wines from overseas

Hi, May I know what's kinds of things need to be paid attention if I would like to buy wines from overseas to HK by international shipment? Thanks!

The think what you need most are buyers. There are already 2 or 3 people here that import a bottle or two.

I met a few people that tried, and failed with wine. There is certainly much more wine around then drinkers.

I have imported wines from Australia to HK and am about to in July. There is no import tax on wines, only spirits. However, are you importing through a wine import/export company or shipping yourself? If you are going through a wine import/export company, then they should cover all costs to you in their quote. However, if you are shipping your self independently to HK, then you will have to pay import costs. This is not tax just the fees for receiving goods. Usually, this is paid to the receiving docks in Yuen Long and also the shipping company that works with the company you use from the original end of shipment. So, I ended up paying around 460HKD to the docks to release the goods, and about 1000HKD to the shipping company that received them in HK.

shri and Drunken Master like this.

I currently am shipping about 1.125 cubic sq metre of wine and a couple of personal effects to HK from Australia. I paid so far 484.90 AUD to the Oz shipping company for their bill of lading et al. Apparently, the goods are received through customs via the receiving company, and I will receive an invoice based upon the weight of goods ( wine! Well, it is very good stuff from Aussie smaller producers) and also must pay a release fee of about 460 HKD. I will keep the OP updated when all is through in a bout 2 weeks. If anyone is interested in shipping wine from Australia, I go through Aussie Freight in Brisbane. You can send goods up to their address and they pack it all for you ( at a small cost) onto a pallet. Quotes are by cubic metre onto a pallet.

shri likes this.

Ok, the lowdown on the outcome of my shipping wine ( among other personal effects) from Australia.

The original place from where load was shipped : Brisbane ports, using Aussie Freight ( Contact: Colin or Matthew.

Load: 95.000 kgs
    Measurement: 1.264 CBM
    From the HK end, costs are so far ,

CFS Charge , documentation and handling charges all amount to $1,100.27.

Pick up from
    Perfect Inflow Logistics Lts Yuen Long , or have it deliver to your address, Receiving Company: ShipCo.

So far ,all good. I have done this before and the releasing charge at the docks/ Storage lat time was about $460 HKD.

For alcohol, you need to provide an inventory or all wine or spiriits not more than 30%, or you pay import taxes. Wine is tax free.

Throughout Australia, or from NZ, most companies will send up to the shipping company, and as long as the goods are packed by yourself, they will load it onto the pallet, and shrinkwrap, ship it to HK or your destination. Payment is by cheque or electronic transfer. The shippping companies kept me up to date with what is going on, ETA etc. Second time I have shipped stuff, namely wine from Australia and would do it again.

Included are also personal effects including antiques. Storage in HK via ShipCo, I have been told on paper is free for a certain period ( i think one month) but I will pick up asap. The main factor is the wine, of which there are - lost count- so many cases.

( pls no PMs about when I'm throwing a party!)

chuckster007 and Elegiaque like this.

Very interesting, thanks. Just out of interest, how many bottles did you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Seagulls!
    Very interesting, thanks. Just out of interest, how many bottles did you buy?
    Unfortunately, just wrapped and packed, and so lost count, but I shipped a lot. About 100 bottles. I can confirm once I pick up the goods next week. On the load, I also had some things bought in Australia and shipped over, such as shoes, books, foodstuffs, but not much. Mainly the load was wine.