Like Tree200Likes

How Racist is HK?

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast
    Social integration can be seen as a dynamic and structured process in which all members participate in dialogue to achieve and maintain peaceful social relations. Social integration does not mean forced assimilation.
    Social integration is focused on the need to move toward a safe, stable and just society by mending conditions of social disintegration and social exclusion - social fragmentation, exclusion and polarization; and by expanding and strengthening conditions of social integration - towards peaceful social relations of coexistence, collaboration and cohesion.
    Based on this definition, Hong Kong and Western expats coming into Hong Kong do very well in terms of integrating. I think this is due to the policy of having English as an official language. However, when it comes to refugees and FDH, Hong Kong's policies are lacking. Hence the discussion of whether Hong Kong is racist/xenophobic or not should be directed there.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    My family experienced a lot more racism in HK than in the UK (where they experienced none) but I always felt they were totally safe in HK but not in the UK.
    When you say your family experience more racism in HK than in the UK, what period are you talking about?
    Last edited by Judge_and_Jury; 25-09-2016 at 10:23 AM.

@civil_servant

How long have you been living in HK if you don't mind me asking?
    Also, how misguided are you?

English may be the universal language globally.. but it's DEFINITELY NOT the official language in HK.

You really need to get out more!
    There is evidence of racism/xenophobia in HK.
    No doubt about that. I find that it has increased significantly since the takeover of sovereignty in 1997.

Especially more geared towards Hong Kongers vs Mainland Chinese..

Last edited by Judge_and_Jury; 25-09-2016 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Lately there seems to be a bit of an increase in racism via the very groups that usually moan most about the subject, but, vexed toward Caucasian Europeans, instead.
    Oxford student Ntokozo Qwabe refused tip leading hundreds to donate £2k to white waitress | Daily Mail Online

I experienced something similar in Nice, by an illegal car windshield washer at a set off traffic lights near the Nice Sud exit. Hurling racist Hitler abuse because I wouldn't let his squeegee touch my spotlessly clean windscreen and his arrogant expectation that he could behave in a hostile manner while my wife and kids were in the car, for a €2.00 hand out!
    Those groups don't moan. They report what they experience, just like the Caucasian waitress reported her experience. The act committed was not committed by a group, but by an individual. It's not about one group vs another, but whether racism within society exists. None of it should be tolerated.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge_and_Jury:
    When you say your family experience more racism in HK than in the UK, what period are you talking about?
    HK 2005 to 2011

UK 2013 to 2015

@civil_servant

How long have you been living in HK if you don't mind me asking?
    Also, how misguided are you?

English may be the universal language globally.. but it's DEFINITELY NOT the official language in HK.

You really need to get out more!
    I think you need to read more. English is an official language of HK unless the law has recently changed.
    Claire ex-ax likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TeachHK:
    I wouldn't say Hong Kong is 'that' racist. Obviously it occurs, but I wouldn't say it's that bad. I think it's fair to say violent racism doesn't really exist.

While I would never say Britain was a non-racist place, I have never heard a British person refer to a Chinese person as yellow.
    Quite a few other derogatory terms yes, but not yellow. I didn't realise it was a word particularly used in Britian - I thought it was more of an American thing.

Also, I was shocked when I moved to HK with quite how many Hong Kongers refer to themselves as yellow. It seemed strange to me.
    I hate to generalise and I'm sure I'm going to get slammed for saying this I'm sure....
    but it's from my experience after living in 3 different countries where it is heavily populated by Brits,
    that Brits are known to be racist!!
    "White Australian Policy"
    "White Supremists"
    Where do you think these terms originated from?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I think you need to read more. English is an official language of HK unless the law has recently changed.
    But you can't get by in HK with just English.
    Personally, I find it extremely difficult and this is from experience.

But you can't get by in HK with just English.
    Personally, I find it extremely difficult and this is from experience.
    Really? I manage just fine.
    kimwy66 and Cwbguy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Really? I manage just fine.
    Maybe it's my okka accent

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast