Like Tree200Likes

How Racist is HK?

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHairy:
    I don't need to debate with you Mat...I work in local schools and have seen first hand the issues. Pakistani kids are not segregated and are free to join local schools.

Not saying it's easy...but it is done, and that proves there is no segregation.
    So UNISON has set up an entire charity for no reason?

HOW do you expect ethnic minority children to learn Cantonese when none is spoken at home? Do you seriously think that a few hours at kindy is sufficient? If so you appear to be living with your head in the sand.

And yes, English is no problem if you are a RICH EXPAT who is working in a multi-lingual office (or like me, running a business with entirely english speaking staff) - if you are a school leaver from a poor family who has to go out and get a job - what sort of opportunities are there for them? They are entirely different things.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    If so you appear to be living with your head in the sand.
    Can we try not to go down the path of the stupid insults?

I work in local kindergartens and have done so for 7 years in this town including estate kindergartens that have a relatively high ratio of Pakistani students.

When I worked at Tin Shui Wai I was acutely aware of the problem and noticed that some of the children could speak Chinese where some couldn't...It turned out that those that could were encouraged to play with local kids...the parents has Chinese learning apps. on their phones and made an effort to learn some Canto. themselves..

I'm not saying it's easy...I am saying it's possible and it's a choice.

Resources are already stretched and these kids put more pressure on resources. If you guys want to try and turn this into something it's not, fine...I am speaking from personal experience....

Who is going to pay for more services? Further, how many more will stop bothering to try and support their kids if it's all laid on by the government? What about local kids who need support?

Put the responsibility back on the parents I say.

Quote Originally Posted by HKSAR:
    I'm not a red-headed white pig
    What's that?

Chinglish?

Don't get it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    What's that?

Chinglish?

Don't get it at all.
    A native English speaker who's a red-headed white pig may explain to you, Mr. Chinglish.

I don't need to debate with you Mat...I work in local schools and have seen first hand the issues. Pakistani kids are not segregated and are free to join local schools.

Not saying it's easy...but it is done, and that proves there is no segregation.
    DUH?
    And how do they do when they don't speak Cantonese.

There is a major issue for kids (non locals) that do not speak Chinese (by they nepalise, Pakistani, thai, Korean etc etc) and who can't afford International School.

A few schools in HK run some 6 months programs (what my wife use to run) to help them get the basics and start to go to local schools.

What you see in your local schools are Pakistani kids who were most likely born in HK and speak Canto.

Quote Originally Posted by HKSAR:
    I'm not a red-headed white pig, and won't stop complaining...
    Deal with it and move on!
    Complain all you want, I could care one bit less.
    Careful with the popcorn though, you may end up looking like a pig!

Who is going to pay for more services? Further, how many more will stop bothering to try and support their kids if it's all laid on by the government? What about local kids who need support?

Put the responsibility back on the parents I say.
    I say it is how you measure a society. Either you try to cater for your minorities or you let them behind.

The gvt has shit load of money and this is something easily solved if the willpower is here (but it is not). A bit like the lack or resources for elderlies etc etc.

HK doesn't care much for its minorities and it is reflected there. So you can put the responsibility on the parents if you want but parents who don't speak Chinese will have really hard time teaching their kids to speak Chinese. I'd actually love to see you teaching your two boys Chinese.

There are things that can be easily fixed but the will power is just not there. No need to beat around the bush.

Please elaborate HKSAR. You're obviously using some Cantonese slang. Try not to. You come across a bit silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    DUH?
    Less of the 'duh' please Mat. The parameters weren't supplied...so we are specifically talking about poor, non-Canto. speaking Pakistani children who are school age when they arrive in HK? Any more caveats?

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    I'd actually love to see you teaching your two boys Chinese.
    I wouldn't have come here in the first place...
    If I did, I would learn Cantonese, I'd have my kids hang around with locals, watch Canto. TV etc...and I would do what I had to do to sort it out.
    I wouldn't expect any special treatment.
    This city is overcrowded, people are living in cramped houses, old folks are collecting cardboard...

I would, to be honest have more sympathy if this wasn't being made out to be some racial thing...it would be no different for an uneducated Polish family with blonde hair...

Your argument sounds to me like a black guy with one leg applying for a job as a football coach and crying racist when he's rejected...

Finally, I'm sure Hong Kong has noticed what happens when you make it more attractive/easy for poor unskilled immigrants...surprisingly, more and more poor unskilled immigrants come...
    Hakata Bay likes this.

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast