Like Tree200Likes

How Racist is HK?

Reply
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
  1. #151
    Quote Originally Posted by HKSAR:
    Just don't understand, if these people are so proud of their culture and heritage, why are they here?! Why don't they just stay at their home countries where they belong?

    Shri, I think this was directed towards you.

  2. #152

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,373
    Quote Originally Posted by HKSAR:
    I always have difficulty understanding the mentality of ethnic minorities in HK or anywhere else. Taking the Indian sub-continent citizens as an example: The vast majority arrive here, dress their traditional costumes, eat their traditional food, speak their languages, segregate themselves in communities, business lobbying, putting little to none efforts to integrate in the local culture or language, then they complain about racism and discrimination. Just don't understand, if these people are so proud of their culture and heritage, why are they here?! Why don't they just stay at their home countries where they belong? Those are just an example of the economic migrants who settle in any developed country just for the $$$ without bothering to give back to the community just by trying to integrate!
    Why did Mainlanders come here in droves to seek refuge, when it was a British colony? They should have gone full English and abandoned the culture they preserved so well here (better than on the Mainland, in many cases). Why do Chiuchow and Shanghainese people look out for each other here, even after their families have been here for generations? Now that HK is part of China, why does it insist on being different? Why don't we switch to Mandarin and the RMB?
    civil_servant and Mat like this.

  3. #153

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    14,593
    Quote Originally Posted by HKSAR:
    I always have difficulty understanding the mentality of ethnic minorities in HK or anywhere else. Taking the Indian sub-continent citizens as an example: The vast majority arrive here, dress their traditional costumes, eat their traditional food, speak their languages, segregate themselves in communities, business lobbying, putting little to none efforts to integrate in the local culture or language, then they complain about racism and discrimination. Just don't understand, if these people are so proud of their culture and heritage, why are they here?! Why don't they just stay at their home countries where they belong? Those are just an example of the economic migrants who settle in any developed country just for the $$$ without bothering to give back to the community just by trying to integrate!
    And the (white?) expats do what?
    Shop at Oliver
    Live in the same places
    Eat western food as much as they can
    etc etc etc
    They don't complain about racism because they get $.

  4. #154
    Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    As an immigrant to Canada, I can perfectly describe my situation.

    When I came to Canada, I was put into an ESL program at my high school, which meant having classes parallel to the local kids. So instead of Grade 9 English, I had Grade 9 English ESL. The reading material was much lighter and the teacher made every effort to speak slower and to ensure that reading comprehension took place. This was done for all subjects that required reading comprehension, such as history, geography, and science, but for example in PE and Maths, I went straight in with the local kids. As my English improved, I was then slowly moved in with the local kids. First science, then geography and history, and at last English. ESL kids had an extra room that was there for them to get additional help resources. There was usually an ESL teacher on duty who was able to help with homework/reading/assignments. I transitioned through this program very quickly as I immigrated from German and had already received formal education in English. Nonetheless, this program was still helpful for me as it made the transition of joining local kids very smooth. Kids from third-world countries, ie Somalia, Eritrea, etc, usually stayed in the program for several years as they usually didn't have prior education in English. Canada does really well of integrating migrants from third world countries. Many of my friends in Toronto are of mixed marriages and many succeeded in climbing the social ladder within one single generation. Some of their parents have very poor English but their kid's English is exceptional. This is due to an exceptional ESL program.

    In 2013, crime stats in Canada reached an all-time low, which put the crime rate at a level not seen since 1969. If third-world migration were such a horrible thing, Canada wouldn't rank top in the world in many social indicators, but it does.
    Canada's racial divide: Confronting racism in our own backyard - The Globe and Mail

  5. #155
    I'm fully aware that Canada still needs to confront its racism. Nobody said there is none. Especially with regards to the situation of dealing with First Nations. Every time there's an article on the CBC talking of their struggles, the message boards quickly gets littered with vitriol and bigotry. Yet, it doesn't mean they're not successful at integrating migrants from third-world countries.
    Char Siu King likes this.

  6. #156
    Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    I'm fully aware that Canada still needs to confront its racism. Nobody said there is none. Especially with regards to the situation of dealing with First Nations. Every time there's an article on the CBC talking of their struggles, the message boards quickly gets littered with vitriol and bigotry. Yet, it doesn't mean they're not successful at integrating migrants from third-world countries.
    To me Canada feels much more segregated than the US. Just my point of view. Grew up in Toronto.
    civil_servant likes this.

  7. #157

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,235
    Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    As an immigrant to Canada, I can perfectly describe my situation.

    When I came to Canada, I was put into an ESL program at my high school, which meant having classes parallel to the local kids. So instead of Grade 9 English, I had Grade 9 English ESL. The reading material was much lighter and the teacher made every effort to speak slower and to ensure that reading comprehension took place. This was done for all subjects that required reading comprehension, such as history, geography, and science, but for example in PE and Maths, I went straight in with the local kids. As my English improved, I was then slowly moved in with the local kids. First science, then geography and history, and at last English. ESL kids had an extra room that was there for them to get additional help resources. There was usually an ESL teacher on duty who was able to help with homework/reading/assignments. I transitioned through this program very quickly as I immigrated from German and had already received formal education in English. Nonetheless, this program was still helpful for me as it made the transition of joining local kids very smooth. Kids from third-world countries, ie Somalia, Eritrea, etc, usually stayed in the program for several years as they usually didn't have prior education in English. Canada does really well of integrating migrants from third world countries. Many of my friends in Toronto are of mixed marriages and many succeeded in climbing the social ladder within one single generation. Some of their parents have very poor English but their kid's English is exceptional. This is due to an exceptional ESL program.

    In 2013, crime stats in Canada reached an all-time low, which put the crime rate at a level not seen since 1969. If third-world migration were such a horrible thing, Canada wouldn't rank top in the world in many social indicators, but it does.
    Let's review the situation in 5 years...I notice Trudeau the other day in a mosque blabbing on about diversity and how nice it was to 'see the sisters'...the women (yes, women) were segregated, having to watch proceedings from a balcony...the man is a crank and will oversee the same destructive and divisive policies that have caused so much damage in Europe and the USA...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF78GUNned0

  8. #158

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    14,593

    The World would be so much better if:
    - Those Chinese could stay in China
    - Those Japanese could stay in Japan
    - Those Africans could stay in Africa (and in their won fucking country please!!!)
    - Those Middle Eastern could stay in the Middle East (and in their won fucking country please!!!)
    - Those Europeans could stay in Europe (and in their own Fucking country please!!!!)
    - Those Americans could stay in America
    - Those South Americans could stay in South America (and in their won fucking country please!!!)
    - Those Russians the same
    - Those Indians the same

    Imagine, would be so good, no immigration issue, no assimilation issue, no wars no nothing...

    Of course that would mean no frozen chapatis here cos people here wouldn't know what is a chapatis...which would not be an issue because no Indians would be living here anyway.

    Btw, there is no fucking god of course and everyone is atheist...that helps also.

    Last edited by Mat; 28-09-2016 at 10:54 AM.
    civil_servant likes this.

  9. #159
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHairy:
    Let's review the situation in 5 years...I notice Trudeau the other day in a mosque blabbing on about diversity and how nice it was to 'see the sisters'...the women (yes, women) were segregated, having to watch proceedings from a balcony...the man is a crank and will oversee the same destructive and divisive policies that have caused so much damage in Europe and the USA...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF78GUNned0
    I thought you wanted a Centrist. You can't get more Centrist than that guy. Why would you want him to speak up for those women? Do you want him to be a SJW?

  10. #160

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,235
    Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    I thought you wanted a Centrist. You can't get more Centrist than that guy. Why would you want him to speak up for those women? Do you want him to be a SJW?
    He is a poster child for the regressive left...it's a kind of cognitive dissonance...he's so desperate to appease Muslims that he fails to notice the segregation in front of his own eyes.

    This is what we mean when we say 'regressive left'...it means the left will eat itself as it pushes tolerance of people are who are intolerant of liberal values...it's batshit crazy.

    Valuing equality for women is a liberal value...it's got nothing to do with sexist and racist SJWs.
    Last edited by DirtyHairy; 28-09-2016 at 09:01 PM.

Reply
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast