Like Tree200Likes

How Racist is HK?

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    I think racist is the wrong word, I prefer to use xenophobic.
    I tend to agree, Hong Kong is very passive xenophobic, than it is, overtly racist.

However, due to the language barrier for majority of Sai Yan ( foreigners ) who walk around eyes wide shut, because they have no idea, what, regular folks are saying around them. If they only knew how foul mouthed the average Hongkie on the street was lol They swear a lot out here, but because most of you cant understand the lingua franca, you tend to get a very naïve sense of security. Pretty hard to have a verbal argument with somebody that you have zero ability in understanding lmfao.

Hongkies, also LOVE a good stereotype and they don't really give two hoots, what we ethnic minorities think, they are the 95% homogeneous majority and that's the way the cookie crumbles. With long standing cultural classics like, Huk Gwei for African dudes, ah-cha for Indians, Bunn Mui for Filipina, Fan Gwei or Gwei Lo for white men, Gwei Mui or Po for white females, locusts for mainlanders and many more.

So, no, its not overtly racist here in that you'll get physically accosted, and in some ways, the racism can actually be quite positive, but again, it's all based on long standing perceptions ( myths ) that have existed here for decades.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 05-09-2016 at 02:08 PM.
    BeachLOVER, 100LL and kimwy66 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I .

Hongkies, also LOVE a good stereotype
    Because people on Geoexpat don't :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Because people on Geoexpat don't :-)
    Dem Bloody Honkies

HKers are not just "racist" but "otherist". It's about however "they" might be different from "us."Even among the local population, "we" are OK, but They are too rich, too poor, are unmarried, have too many children, no children, don't drink beer, drink too much beer, are social climbers, have no ambition, burn their incense the wrong way, etc., etc., etc. ... Just like western countries in fact, but without the politically correct social filters. And "we" often end up making friends with one or more of "them" anyway, no matter what our generalisations might be.

I wouldn't want to think about the number of times I've been out with a Filipina colleague or friend and expats here as well as locals talk to me straight past her as if she didn't exist ...

Being from the subcontinent, I can safely say that there is xenophobia present in HK. Like most others have said, you're not going to get physically assaulted because of it but will see it's repercussions in other forms. Like not being able to rent apartments or having employers not consider you for job openings, it does take it's toll. A lot of people can also be very dismissive of you based on your skin colour too and you can see that in the public space in how they behave if you are around.

I try to look at the positive side of things and appreciate that I usually get an empty seat on the bus this way

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Xenophobia: intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries

(As there seems to be some confusion.)

Xenophobic & passively racist for sure.

But so are many people back home in Canada once you get past their PC facade.

civil_servant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Xenophobia: intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries

This seems like an appropriate time to mention this Chrome plugin, thoroughly recommend it (and no, I didn't make it!)
    I use it all the time

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...abfgobmjgjcoja

Name:  xeno.png
Views: 1683
Size:  31.3 KB
    drumbrake likes this.

There is 'racism' in Hong Kong and to deny it would be stupid, however, I put racism in ' ' because not all racisms are equal.

First, I don't believe there are huge groups of people that don't like others because of the colour of their skin. Culture, religion, language, socio-economic status, nationality, history, these play a factor.

HKers are, broadly speaking, a pragmatic bunch. 99% of their daily interactions are with other HKers, they don't want to expend any energy/time thinking about other people.

Racism exists, but it's unlikely to lead to violence. If an when it does, it's likely to be between ethnic groups from outside Hong Kong. Anyway, if you want to see real, in your face racism, go to the middle east, India, many African countries...keeping in mind that most of world's most fierce and violent racism is neither perpetrated by or experienced by white people.

The most racist countries in the world

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:

It's a mild form of xenophobia, especially true in regard to what's said about mainlanders, because deep down, Hong Kongers are as envious and jealous as hell, of the millions of usd millionaires that the mainland has produced since handover.

While they got screwed by local developers and big business favouritism.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast