Like Tree200Likes

How Racist is HK?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Its more ignorance than actual racisms I think. I had a local hiking friend who was going to move to the UK and wanted some "tips" on getting on in the UK. We go onto the subject of black people, and he was stunned to hear that assuming a black person in the UK was an African expat might not go down too well.... He just thought all black people come from Africa. How anyone can think that given all the "black lives matter" news or that the USA has a black president or ..... but this guy, reasonably well educated, just didn't think about the rest of the world much and thus had no idea about such things.

Racism, whether it be here or in places like Southern USA, shares the same basis - ignorance has no boundaries.

Hong Kongers (BIG GENERALISATION) are a few things:

- they can't hold an elevator
    - they can't queue unless it is for free stuffs
    - they can't name most African countries on a map
    - they can't name most South African countries on a map
    - Europe is Germany, the UK, France and a bit of Italy and Spain, the rest forget it
    - Can't seat on a bus next to someone else (refer post before)
    - Can't eat noodles without making noise
    - Can't drive above 100km/h
    - Think black are baddies (blame American movies for that) and Indian just do the Bollywood dance and live in ChungKing Mansion (with the baddies)
    - Westerners cheats and like South East Asians
    - Japanese are Ham Sap and make good sushi
    - Thai cook and give massage
    - Vietnamese = Pho
    - Korean = Bimbimbap and K pop stars

etc
    etc
    etc

That said am sure if you take any other developed countries "mass population" am pretty sure the end results would be somewhat similar.

So yeah some are racist but frankly it's mostly a sheep like attitude/ignorance more than anything else. They just don't know better. (and I am not saying I know better..)

eterrestrial32 likes this.

An example of racism: Go to the thread on the stench in the Sai Ying Pun MTR and see the blatant unspoken racist comments from geoexpat members about locals - who are mentioned as if they are a lowly tribe with missing or defective olfactory organs, doing things on the cheap and so unlike the clinically clean and spotless, sweet-smelling undergrounds in countries from which the writers came e.g. London, NY, Dehli. The writers probably never thought they would be interpreted in this manner, but there you are - quilty as described QED

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Hong Kongers (BIG GENERALISATION) are a few things:

- they can't hold an elevator
    - they can't queue unless it is for free stuffs
    - they can't name most African countries on a map
    - they can't name most South African countries on a map
    - Europe is Germany, the UK, France and a bit of Italy and Spain, the rest forget it
    - Can't seat on a bus next to someone else (refer post before)
    - Can't eat noodles without making noise
    - Can't drive above 100km/h
    - Think black are baddies (blame American movies for that) and Indian just do the Bollywood dance and live in ChungKing Mansion (with the baddies)
    - Westerners cheats and like South East Asians
    - Japanese are Ham Sap and make good sushi
    - Thai cook and give massage
    - Vietnamese = Pho
    - Korean = Bimbimbap and K pop stars

etc
    etc
    etc

That said am sure if you take any other developed countries "mass population" am pretty sure the end results would be somewhat similar.

So yeah some are racist but frankly it's mostly a sheep like attitude/ignorance more than anything else. They just don't know better. (and I am not saying I know better..)
    When you call Japanese Ham Sap, they give off this perverted smile and take it as a compliment.
    When you call Chinese materialistic, they don't think much of it - or agree and say other Chinese people are materialistic.
    When you call locals fat, they'll probably say I know and gives you reasons why.

It's really stupid to see black people have new opportunities in Hong Kong to then just congregate in ChungKing Mansion where it then became notorious.

I'm expecting the black people who are not within the generalization to at least say "Yeah, many black people are like that."

Minorities aren't treated well in most places. Why are the black so special that they needed the extra help from non blacks?
    Last edited by Creative83; 06-09-2016 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    By any western standard the protesters and the police didn't get beaten during Occupy. It was the most peaceful two months protest the world has probably ever seen

As for racism..it's very different. Sometimes I think they don't even know they are. But they are (they does not mean ALL of them...it means some....)

They just do things a certain way (which is somewhat racist) but they don't beat the crap out of you because you are black or whatever....but if you take a bus for example....they will seat in the following order
    if possible:
    Alone
    Next to another Asian
    Next to a white guy (because the white guy is by definition bigger and take too much space)
    Next to an Indian/black (because they have a smell)

So that's the type of racism you will get it. It's not violent...but it's little things day to day.
    Either you get over it (easier said than done for some) or you don't and you will hate the place.
    Alone
    Next to another Hong Konger
    Next to a Japanese / Korean
    Next to a Mainlander
    Next to a white guy (Unless they're ginger or dodgy looking)
    Next to an Indian
    Next to a S.E. Asian
    Next to an Indian/black
    Next to a person with a skin disorder

Why are Indians on twice? Because you never can tell if an Indian is rich or not
    jayinhongkong likes this.

Alone - outer seat
    Alone - inner seat
    Next to Li Ka Shing
    Next to Li's son
    Next to Angelababy
    rest don't matter

BeachLOVER likes this.

Race is tied to status here. I'm dark skinned but my spouse is white. When we are together I get treated better than when I'm alone. They assume a white guy in a suit is someone important therefore I get honorary white person status.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative83:
    When you call Japanese Ham Sap, they give off this perverted smile and take it as a compliment.
    When you call Chinese materialistic, they don't think much of it - or agree and say other Chinese people are materialistic.
    When you call locals fat, they'll probably say I know and gives you reasons why.

It's really stupid to see black people have new opportunities in Hong Kong to then just congregate in ChungKing Mansion where it then became notorious.

I'm expecting the black people who are not within the generalization to at least say "Yeah, many black people are like that."

Minorities aren't treated well in most places. Why are the black so special that they needed the extra help from non blacks?
    Can I have some of what you are on? seems pretty powerful at 6.30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative83:

And therein lies the problem.
    civil_servant and hullexile like this.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast