Like Tree200Likes

How Racist is HK?

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Some buildings in town charge domestic helpers who use the lifts on sundays
    Some building management companies request the employers to instruct their helpers not to use the building facilities on sunday
    Some big clubs as mentioned by threelittlepigs do not allow helpers inside

lots of racist / discrimination what ever you call it things happen and they get away with it blatantly.
    Not sure if that is racism or moneyism though. Philippines or Indonesians who are members are fine. Not sure if there are barriers to becoming a member though. I would guess so.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Not sure if that is racism or moneyism though.
    Me neither but thought i would bring it up anyways, not that it matters to me as I cant afford to be a member of these clubs anyways LOL

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Not sure if that is racism or moneyism though. Philippines or Indonesians who are members are fine. Not sure if there are barriers to becoming a member though. I would guess so.
    It's definitely racism or at least stereotpying because I've heard SE Asian women (especially those with light skinned mixed race children) complain about being mistreated because they are assumed to be helpers caring for expat kids. I met one lady who is part Chinese and a Cantonese speaker who deals with this and she can understand the nasty things being said about her so she knows that's what is going on.
    chuckster007 and TheBrit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    I have heard this before, but is it really true?.
    I bet this still is happening now in causeway bay as it hit the biggest on sundays by the helper invasion on their day off.

Is This Lift Racist? Can an Elevator be Discriminatory?

My Filipino relatives were called "ugly blackies" by a HKer. Does that count as racism?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    My Filipino relatives were called "ugly blackies" by a HKer. Does that count as racism?
    and my wife was called yellow bitch by some brits...the point is if we go anecdotal...its never ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    and my wife was called yellow bitch by some brits...the point is if we go anecdotal...its never ending.
    There are A LOT of racist Brits. Almost all descriptions of racism are anecdotal surely?

Racism is never ending unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    There are A LOT of racist Brits. Almost all descriptions of racism are anecdotal surely?

Racism is never ending unfortunately.
    I meant (in the context of the thread) as opposed to "community" (for lack of better term) racism: Ie building notices, average population behavior etc etc.
    angeluscomplex likes this.

I wouldn't say Hong Kong is 'that' racist. Obviously it occurs, but I wouldn't say it's that bad. I think it's fair to say violent racism doesn't really exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    While I would never say Britain was a non-racist place, I have never heard a British person refer to a Chinese person as yellow.
    Quite a few other derogatory terms yes, but not yellow. I didn't realise it was a word particularly used in Britian - I thought it was more of an American thing.

Also, I was shocked when I moved to HK with quite how many Hong Kongers refer to themselves as yellow. It seemed strange to me.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast