Like Tree200Likes

How Racist is HK?

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    That comment in post #54 was completely uncalled for and out of line, however that is no excuse for you to be racist, and no, putting quotes around it doesn't absolve you of racism. Shame on you.
    I agree. Thank you for calling out Londrino.
    rickyross likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter White:
    She misses the point, as most do.

I honestly believe that there are very few racists in this world. By that, I mean people who don't like people based on the colour of their skin.

I think that what people perceive as racism is actually intolerance of perceived cultural norms.

Then there is a continuum from people who stereotype cultures to the extreme (all Muslims are terrorists, all westerners are drunks, etc...) and then there are the cultural relativists at the other end who believe all cultures are equal and that special protection and rights should be afforded people whose cultural beliefs and practices mean they cannot fully assimilate into the 'dominant culture'.

Most people are somewhere in the middle.
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHairy:
    all westerners are drunks
    That's actually true.
    AGxM, Mat and Judge_and_Jury like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    That's actually true.

According to the stats not all. Only 96.8% are drunks.

I HATE YALL

Quote Originally Posted by Walter White:
    According to the stats not all. Only 96.8% are drunks.
    The 3.2% left are designated drivers ?
    Mat and chuckster007 like this.

I recently read a book about South Asians in HK. The author raises some very interesting points about "racism" and integration.

Basically, racial policies in the west is influenced by liberalism. Therefore, every individual person should be accepted as equal and possess equal rights as a responsible citizen, while at the same time share equal responsibilities. However, the individual then must give up his/her original culture and become integrated into the society and mainstream culture. That's why in France immigrants can't really survive without speaking French (and also banning burka), in US/UK immigrants can't really survive without speaking English (very obvious). Integration is a must if you want to survive and flourish.

On the other hand in HK, the city is not influenced by such liberal ideals. Therefore there is less political correctness, less racial minority policies and more overt racism. But then, immigrants are not required to know Cantonese/Chinese and give up their own culture. There are expats who have been here for 20+ years and cannot speak Cantonese. You can survive and flourish here in HK without integrating into the main stream.

I think it is hard to say which one is better. You can even say that HK is the real multi-culturalism.

Quote Originally Posted by kungpaochicken:
    I recently read a book about South Asians in HK. The author raises some very interesting points about "racism" and integration.

Basically, racial policies in the west is influenced by liberalism. Therefore, every individual person should be accepted as equal and possess equal rights as a responsible citizen, while at the same time share equal responsibilities. However, the individual then must give up his/her original culture and become integrated into the society and mainstream culture. That's why in France immigrants can't really survive without speaking French (and also banning burka), in US/UK immigrants can't really survive without speaking English (very obvious). Integration is a must if you want to survive and flourish.

On the other hand in HK, the city is not influenced by such liberal ideals. Therefore there is less political correctness, less racial minority policies and more overt racism. But then, immigrants are not required to know Cantonese/Chinese and give up their own culture. There are expats who have been here for 20+ years and cannot speak Cantonese. You can survive and flourish here in HK without integrating into the main stream.

I think it is hard to say which one is better. You can even say that HK is the real multi-culturalism.
    Plenty of Chinese who speak very poor French (or English) in French Chinatown / US town Chinatown. So you can also live in those country without assimilating to the dominant culture. Plenty of Mexican who don't speak much English in the southern part of the US too.

Quote Originally Posted by kungpaochicken:

It's more touchy cause of its history, not because of some ideology. Next generation that were taught what not to do - because of its past, then looks to what's socially acceptable. The media gives a lot of social cues with regards to this. However, you can think from your adult self's perspective and say you're liberal and for equality - but that's not where it began. A 13-year-old couldn't fathom equality very well.

Think of the countries where it doesn't have a past with severe racism and I'll show you people who doesn't overreact.

Ethnic minorities are better received anywhere where you're more integrated though. It's particularly true if you can speak the language like a native.
    Last edited by Creative83; 15-09-2016 at 04:21 PM.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast