Like Tree52Likes

Can you get by in Hong Kong with Mandarin?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Can you get by in Hong Kong with Mandarin?

I know a bit of mandarin, but have no desire to learn cantonese. Will most Hong Kongers be able to understand mandarin? I've found myself in situations here and there where the person I'm talking to doesn't speak english, but I am wondering if it would be worth trying mandarin if english fails?

Yes most locals can speak mandarin, though some may think you're a mainlander and look down on you

Learn some Cantonese and you will instantly get more respect and better service.

rickyross, jimbo, itsdawn and 1 others like this.

If your WHITE and try to speak Mandarin to the locals, they'll love it. you'll be accepted/helped with open arms

Rob2020 likes this.

No - and chances are, your Mandarin is garbage so nobody will be able to understand you either. Learn the local language, you're not special.

jimbo, Hofer and jrb014 like this.

Are you fucking moron or what? The guy simply asked if he can get by with Mandarin in HK and you give him this bullshit answer. As far as I am concerned his question is a good one and the answer is YES he can get by in HK with mandarin in case English fails. Mandarin is definitely the language to learn nowadays, Cantonese is not as important and especially in HK where most people speak english. Cantonese is a very difficult language to learn, can you speak cantonese smartass?

Quote Originally Posted by gorillaMS13:
    Cantonese is not as important and especially in HK where most people speak english.
    Huh?
    100LL likes this.

Are you fucking moron or what?
    You're missing the article a before the singular countable noun...or were you referring to my possible sexual relationship with this moron person? Leave my sex life out of this!

Cantonese is not as important and especially in HK where most people speak english.
    Most people speak English now? Cantonese isn't as important? Is that the reason why OP is asking us if he can get by in Hong Kong in Mandarin?

can you speak cantonese smartass?
    Of course I do! Want a lesson? Here's a handy term to know in Hong Kong: "屌你" (diu lei) it means thank you, use it whenever you can!
    Hofer and Ellenna like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    No - and chances are, your Mandarin is garbage so nobody will be able to understand you either. Learn the local language, you're not special.
    As my time here in HK is limited, I simply don't have the need (or time) to learn Cantonese
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    You're missing the article a before the singular countable noun...or were you referring to my possible sexual relationship with this moron person? Leave my sex life out of this!

Your an idiot.

Most people speak English now? Cantonese isn't as important? Is that the reason why OP is asking us if he can get by in Hong Kong in Mandarin?

I said most not all.

Of course I do! Want a lesson? Here's a handy term to know in Hong Kong: "屌你" (diu lei) it means thank you, use it whenever you can!
    Wow. Thats all you can say? You deserve a pat on the back sunny boy

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast