Moving company from New Hampshire, US to Hong Kong

Moving company from New Hampshire, US to Hong Kong

Hi,

I am moving in less than 2 months and got a lump sum from my company to cover moving expenses - so I am trying to arrange my own moving at the lowest cost possible!

My question is about moving companies. I won't move any furniture but just books, personal items etc. in 20 boxes or so. What would be the best way to do that? Any recommendations on trusted, good moving companies?

I don't think I need a whole container, but it seems to be troublesome loading and unloading for LCL services...Also, how can I pick up my stuff in HK? I doubt I will be able to unload stuff from the port or from those big wooden cage if I use LCL services.

Thanks...

Several listed here ..

http://www.geoexpat.com/resources/re...on-and-moving/

Personally recommend contacting Asian Express, given that we know the people who work there.

sounds like you definitley don't need a container, not even half. you have a small shipment, some of the big companies can arrange for that to be shipped and delivered to your door. might also consider a more traditional route--good old US postal service and the likes, by sea. just some thoughts.

Don't use a moving company. Instead use the US postal service. They are very reasonable for the M-bag service. They'll deliver to your door in Hong Kong unless you register some packages (in which case you will be asked to collect from the nearest post office). Very convenient for small load (like 20 boxes)! I used it 3 years back and I'm glad I did so.

Thanks.

Thank you for all the info. I have contacted some companies and the prices are quite reasonable. USPS is definitely a good way to go, although I have some reservations about how reliable they are - definitely don't want to lose any of my personal items!

Thanks.

follow-up question for whathell

I am moving from Houston, Texas to Hong Kong and have been thinking that I will go USPS. I have only about 20 - 25 boxes with books, cds, clothes, linens, kitchenware - some glass and dishware, but not much - small appliances like espresso machines, and some inexpensive artwork. No furniture. I'm wondering if whathell has completed the move, if you used USPS, and how it went. I am also looking for the most cost effective solution to this move. Any advice would be helpful

The USPS is pretty good, I've never had any overseas shipment go missing!

Does anybody know in China what is the best way to move things from China to Canada though? Last time moving from Shenyang to Changsha, Hunan, I move it by sending it on a train. Can you name some companies in China that does moving overseas? Although it is HK section, I will be moving back in Canada maybe in 3 years so it will be helpful to know.

Just direct me to some websites if possible.

hi, just a word of warning. I used Links to move from HK to UK and have not had a particularly good experience with them. At first, I thought i was getting good service. The agent came round did her stuff and provided a quote. Then the movers came and worked very quickly and efficiently. The problem was that they were too focused on finishing the job quickly and go home sooner that they just packed my items rather randomly, packed items that i didn't want sent and also packed some rubbish that I had placed aside while I was sorting out my belongings. I then questioned the company to which they responded that they were unaware that I had made a query and told me that they would "investigate". Their investigation has taken 3 months now so either they have ignored my issue or they are building a massive case. It's a shame that this company have not dealt with this problem and it gives me no confidence in recommending their services to my friends. This company is Links Relocation but this doesn't directly reflect their entire operation, just my personal experience during my relocation.