Like Tree13Likes

Alcohol & Tobacco at the border

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

civil_servant: For a roach, I think you'd be looking at more like $500 and a few hours at a police station before going on your merry way. Maybe even just a caution if you're lucky. That would be for the first time. You could be looking at a larger fine and possibly even a week in jail the second time.

I've declared excess alcohol at the airport before (twice). They were very surprised at my honesty and that I speak some Cantonese and said they'd work with me to charge me the least they could. They were very friendly both times and made lots of small talk. Worked out to HK$40 a liter or so. Much easier than having to deal with fines and things

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 06-01-2017 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ajohnso2:
    Duty would be 5x for undeclared tobacco or alcohol
    Do I get to keep it or does it get tossed ?

Not sure if they let you take it after the fine. Saw it on the customs video in flight on my return this week

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Do I get to keep it or does it get tossed ?
    Depends whether the custom officer has the same taste as you.

Actually, that reminds me of a time I got busted with liquor at a Provincial Park in Canada during an alcohol ban. The warden took my premium German import beers, but I got to keep a bottle Captain Morgan rum. I think he had a pleasant evening that day.
    Last edited by civil_servant; 06-01-2017 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    What brand did you buy ?
    Marlboro Lights, nothing fancy
    Morrison likes this.

I used to do this all the time with Cafe Creme's, I think it was 100 or 200 sticks, sometimes Ryj's or Monte Cristo's No.1's or 2's in packs of 3 or 5. Small amounts for personal consumption, before they lowered the amount of what's allowable to take into HK, and a little bit afterwards but I never got checked.

Now I don't smoke or travel as much, I sometimes ask visitors or relatives to bring some with them. Usually I get friends going on short trips to get them on their way out of HK and bring back in. A friend got caught a few years ago and was given the option to either bring in the allowable amount and throw the rest away or pay the tax. No penalties or additional charges.

I don't know if they're as lenient these days with offenders, people I have spoken to don't know either but everyone seems to be under the impression that they are much more strict when it comes to enforcing tobacco and alcohol limits.

HowardCoombs likes this.

You can heck the customs website for details.

They allow you some days to pay instead of paying immediately if caught.
    No criminal charge if you admit your wrongdoings and pay everything before their deadline. Only applies if the quantity is not large. All violations are still recorded.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    There was a flyertalk post of a guy who got caught with way too many cigarettes. I think the fine was about 1k USD which was about 10 times the avoided duty at that time.

Be aware that you must have left HK for at least 24h as holder of a HKID to be able to get the duty free allowance. No quick shopping trip to SZ.
    What difference does it make if you have an allowance of 19 cigarettes or now? Booze may be different..

Never smuggled cigarettes as I do not smoke. However, I used to smuggle in my own booze from HK as good priced decent win is difficult to find in the mainland. no problems there either. In the suitcase, wrapped snug in my clothes, walk on through looking benign. Also a bottle opener...

chuckster007 likes this.

Many guys are drinking alcohol and tobacco at the same time. But I am really confused about this. What's the major side effect for this?