• 1 Post By CarterTG
  • 1 Post By huja
  • 1 Post By answerer
  • 1 Post By East_coast

Add Snaps To Vinyl Fabric?

Closed Thread

Add Snaps To Vinyl Fabric?

Hey all,

I'm currently modifying a retro WWF toy wrestling belt. Upgraded it to look as show-accurate as possible. The original toy belt only came with 3 plates (2 sides and a middle medallion) and the left hand side of the strap was way too short so I bought the exact same belt and took parts of it to add onto the existing title. Strap has been extended to the correct length and 2 more plates added to look more authentic. Only thing left to do is to add a bit of paint, a 6th logo plate, tip at the end and add some snaps on both sides, so far so good, looks perfect
    The toy belts only cost me about $250HKD each.. years ago I used to have one of those WWE adult replica belts but they still look like toys and the strap is stiff as a rock =_= and super expensive (from about $5000HKD and up).

Does anyone know how to add snaps? And where abouts in Kowloon I can get the stuff to add them on.. would stationary stores carry the stuff or does one have to go to a place that specializes in fabric only?

I did a quick Google search and read that you need some sort of tool (looks like pliers) to squeeze the snaps on? Anyone know where to buy that for cheap? Also the vinyl material used for the strap is quite thin.. is there different snap setting tools used for different sizes or one tool can set different shapes and sizes of snaps?

Snaps I want to add on the belt are round, metal ones.. or possibly plastic.

Some pics of the belt I'm working on..

BEFORE:
    Original standard factory belt looked like this :/

AFTER:

..and that's the bottom line cuz Stone Cold said so
    Thanks

Last edited by nickelodeon1997; 11-05-2017 at 10:18 PM.
    juanalias likes this.

To wrestle with the fear of thinness, I'd probably look into adding a backing/reinforcement layer in the snap regions. It'll serve to distribute the strain more evenly.

As for the tool, my best guess would be to wander the textile areas of Sham Shui Po with a printout of the tool and snaps.

https://youtu.be/ItCtCMvHfTs

nickelodeon1997 likes this.

Sham Sui Po MTR. Exit C. South of that exit will be a district that sells buttons, snaps, zippers, misc fasteners for clothing and accessories. Check around Nam Cheong St.

Banggood has lots of choices at a cheap price, if you're willing to wait 2 weeks

https://www.banggood.com/search/popp...e-0-0_p-1.html

KIN FUNG RIVET LTD

https://www.google.com.hk/maps/place...!4d114.1634425

Or the 4-5 other factory shops within 50m that produce many millions of pcs per year across the border. Just ask for sample qtys

Tnx everyone for the tips and directions to that fabric street went there about 5 yrs ago to buy some vinyl, don't think I could find that place again if I went lol SSP is like a maze :/

Last edited by nickelodeon1997; 18-05-2017 at 04:21 AM.

Buy them on Etsy if you don't want to head to SSP.

I use this seller sometimes when I can't be bothered with Aliexpress or TaoBao. He says he is in HK, but he is actually in Northern China. Cheap but good stuff, very reliable. He'll send it by SF Express and it is usually quick.

https://www.etsy.com/hk-en/shop/3DANsupplies