Like Tree46Likes

Is 37K good enough for salary in HK?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aysallas:
    Cheeky Kiwi's comment is a troll FYI.
    You didn't specify if you're moving by yourself or with a family. If single, 37K is more than enough, as long you stay away from HK Island's jungle and you don't act like white expats who only shop for organic food at Marketplace and eat out in SOHO or LKF.
    Lol you basically described me with the exception being I eat in Wan Chai and CBay and shop at Taste

Quote Originally Posted by yoshioka09:
    Thanks, bargfeldstegen. I am actually ecstatic joining that company. But when I knew that they won't cover my airfare + my accommodation for the first 14 days there while looking for a permanent place to rent, and friends mentioning my basic salary is quite below average given my years of experience, I am quite unsure. Plus everything is expensive! So I am trying to ask for some help from fellow geoexpat community members on how to save more, average places to stay, etc.
    Not covering your airfare is very cheap. Even we don't do that (and we are cheap!). I would hear alarm bells to be honest. (Just seen you are from <snip>. That's even more silly given the very low cost of the flight, in the scheme of things. 14 days accommodation is not standard - so I wouldn't worry about that).
    The salary is actually not a bad one - you should be able to live on that easily as long as you don't start acting like a NY banker. I have several junior staff who seem to live happily on less than that (also expats).
    Last edited by shri; 13-06-2017 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Requested by OP

It's cheap, but if it's via the unthinking bureaucratic process of some HR department, then it might not necessarily set off alarm bells.

I can say that there is no need to worry. I make slightly less and enjoy quite a good lifestyle along with savings. You just need to know where to save. Dont expect to eat and drink every weekend. Not to mention it is also a toxic lifestyle. Here is my budget breakdown below.
    Notes: 2bd place(wanchai) alone..dumb i know but moving soon.

Rent: 10k
    Bills (electric, gas, water): 500
    Home Internet: 200
    Mobile: 300
    Transport: 1k
    Food: 6k (i only cook 3 times a month).
    Savings: 10k
    Additional Savings/Spending (clothes, unforseen expenses, savings): 4k

Still remaining ~3k ( which i usually end up spending on stupid hkexpress tickets)

Hope this helps

yoshioka09 likes this.

I've been in HK for 7+ years and the most I've paid on rent is 10k.

Until recently I lived on Lamma island. It's a beautiful island with around an equal split between expats and locals. Has some nice pubs and small shops. A relaxing vibe and nice beaches.

Ferry to central was 25 mins and almost never behind schedule except on public holidays when tourists descended. Lovely place and would love to live there again. Easy to find a 2 bedroom place for under 10k there

I've also lived in the New Territories in modern apartments with clubhouse and pool(s) within that budget and around a 40 min bus to central or faster by MTR if you're near the station

FWIW, my salary has tripled since I moved to HK but I've kept my rent fairly steady. I don't see the point of dropping so much on rent just to save on a commute... Firstly I have a family and we want to save, and secondly I actually like my commute (although now I work from home mostly so there isn't much of one). Podcast or Netflix and chill. People think $400+ a month for unlimited 4g is a lot... Not really if your rent is 10k cheaper than the person saying it

Last edited by justjoe86; 13-06-2017 at 11:30 AM.
    jmbf and yoshioka09 like this.

No.

I don't think that will be enough. If you are by yourself with no spouse in tow then maybe. But it's going to be hard. HK is not cheap. Especially with housing and entertainment. You don't want to be miserable in HK just because you can't afford it. Especially when your friends are going out and you can't afford it. Bummer. Try to get more money. If not too late.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennBond:
    I don't think that will be enough. If you are by yourself with no spouse in tow then maybe. But it's going to be hard. HK is not cheap. Especially with housing and entertainment. You don't want to be miserable in HK just because you can't afford it. Especially when your friends are going out and you can't afford it. Bummer. Try to get more money. If not too late.
    The OP has already stated that they are single, open to flat sharing and used to living a frugal lifestyle. 37K is plenty in this case. Also, as some have already noted, their salary is not going to stay at 37K forever. After a year or two they should see meaningful increases. Plus this move could open up more opportunities for them in the future.
    yoshioka09 likes this.

I agree - personally, i'd take the deal and reduce any friction related to the move.

Once you've moved and know your bosses / team a little better, you can start waving your expat entitlement around and ask for more.

jmbf and Fiona in HKG like this.

This is pretty much the reality and thanks for this constructive and helpful post!
    Don't worry Yoshioka, HK's rent is high but there are millions of people here living on much less than 37k, so if you don't require a luxurious life, it's totally manageable.

yoshioka09 likes this.

FFS, many of our analysts (coming for first world country, like France,UK etc) are on 35-40k a month and have a blast (many either share flats and or have a small pad in Sai Ying Pun, KT etc)

Who ever says 37K is not good for a single guy is either well over 35 y old and been in HK for too long, or in IB or fucking entitled.

OP - 37K is fine to have a good life in HK given your circumstances (still young, single etc).

jgl, jmbf, Kiz and 4 others like this.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast