Like Tree46Likes

Is 37K good enough for salary in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Is 37K good enough for salary in HK?

I have 7 years of experience in the IT field. Is it enough for rent, electric, water, wifi, grocery, lunch/dinners?

Once the offer is finalized, I'll be moving/relocating to HK early August.

Definitely not enough for rent.

Look at this one: https://geoexpat.com/classifieds/apa...rent/ad/433425

36K rental!

Left with 1k how are you going to afford $500 per meal at Wooloomooloo Steak House for the rest of the month?

It's plenty, as long as you don't want to live a luxury life or save a large proportion of your salary...

Titus likes this.

Cheeky Kiwi's comment is a troll FYI.
    You didn't specify if you're moving by yourself or with a family. If single, 37K is more than enough, as long you stay away from HK Island's jungle and you don't act like white expats who only shop for organic food at Marketplace and eat out in SOHO or LKF.

Taxmyass likes this.

That's flipping expensive. I was advised to look for places in Wanchai, Northpoint, Jordan, Mongkong, Sheung wan, Sai ying poon. And find a place with budget around 6-10k. I'm no expat from 1st world countries so that 36k rent is pretty much for those who earn 100k+.

Titus likes this.

Yep, I am planning to. You think how much can I save? I need to send at least 6.5K HKD a month to my family overseas. :|

Where do you think is the best place to find a 100sqft minimum around that budget range?

Overall 37K is quite good for normal life. Since you need to send 6.5k for family, let's count your salary as 30k a month. General cost of living here for two of us is around 20k including rent, grocery, public transport, internet, utilities (gas, electricity and water) and occasional eating out.

10-12K can give you decent apartment in Kowloon but not on main island. If you are single and can do with basic studio, you can be done with around 8k rent in Jordan. If you decide to stay further near Tuen Mun, you might get bit bigger apartments for same budget but commute could be time consuming in comparison. It depends on your budget as well as where your office is located.

Also checkout if your employer is providing some medical cover or not. Private medical care is expensive without some cover from employer.

shri, Titus, Louisa Tsang and 1 others like this.

You won't find anything decent under 20k these days. I'd reconsider. Is it really worth the move?

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    You won't find anything decent under 20k these days. I'd reconsider. Is it really worth the move?
    Plenty ..

https://geoexpat.com/classifieds/apartments/for-rent
    Titus likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast