Like Tree26Likes

Moving Anxiety.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

We moved out of the Mid-Levels because our rent more than doubled while we were there. I actually much prefer Tung Chung! So much open space and our apartment is much nicer, with gym/clubhouse access. And it's flat...no running up and down escalators! That was fun while it lasted. The Mid-Levels slopes kept me running around, too, and were probably good for my health!

Mrs. Jones likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Afsheen:
    Completely forgot to mention-we came across the HKCA PLK School. Since we aren't present in Hong Kong at the moment, I am wondering if anyone has had a look at the building, even if its just from the outside?
    It is a new school, that is meant to open in September 2017.
    This is the old Montessori (IMS) school campus

jobsDB - Jobs in Hong Kong, Indonesia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand for jobs and am sure there are executive level fashion/apparel roles in Hong Kong for you (though expect frequent travels to mainland China) or lots of companies are using Linkedin for job postings now

If your heart is really set on Peak School, you should be aware that a significant part of Mid-Levels is actually in the catchments of Glenealy and Kennedy Schools and not Peak School.

Mid-Levels is a popular place to start out for expats and originally we wanted to go against the trend and live somewhere else, but I confess that we did end up renting in Mid-Levels on Kennedy Road (which is Peak School catchment). There are many family friendly places in that part of Mid-Levels, and it is very convenient yet quiet, but I agree that it is pricey. There are a small number of places available for $25k but they are likely to be small, have no clubhouse facilities and/or be old. If I was working to that budget, I wouldn't personally choose Mid-Levels, I would choose somewhere like Taikoo Shing or Grand Promenade which is still convenient and has good open areas for children to play.

I agree with the OP that you need to check the terms of your accommodation allowance. I am only paid my allowance up the value of my rental invoice, so other than a small tax saving, it doesn't make much sense for us to find somewhere cheaper.

Also worth pointing out that a corporate school debenture is far more useful that a private debenture. The corporate ones give you high priority on waiting list, while the private ones either give you no priority at all or put you lower down the list. It goes without saying that the corporate ones are generally more expensive than the private ones and most companies will generally only fund them for the most senior expats.

shri likes this.

My husband has written to the Bank, asking for more details-regarding rental allowance.

You guys have me thinking twice about the Delia school of Canada-I rang in, and they said they have space in grade 1. Which is great! Because nearly every one of you has said that its a good stop-gap solution.

Also, We have been researching about the Kellet School-and the school looks good. Their curriculum and system is very similar to what Sophiya's current school has.
    I'm wondering what they look for in a child, upon interviewing them.
    She is fluent in French (we had opted for the language as an after-school activity).

Also, we should aim to live in a serviced apartment for 6 months?

Once again, thank you! So glad to have come across this forum

Shortlisted areas to reside in:

Taikoo Shing
    Kowloon
    Tung Chung (will we need a car to commute?)

I'm going to go hunt for serviced apartments-and see what price ranges they offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Afsheen:
    My husband has written to the Bank, asking for more details-regarding rental allowance.

You guys have me thinking twice about the Delia school of Canada-I rang in, and they said they have space in grade 1. Which is great! Because nearly every one of you has said that its a good stop-gap solution.

Also, We have been researching about the Kellet School-and the school looks good. Their curriculum and system is very similar to what Sophiya's current school has.
    I'm wondering what they look for in a child, upon interviewing them.
    She is fluent in French (we had opted for the language as an after-school activity).

Also, we should aim to live in a serviced apartment for 6 months?

Once again, thank you! So glad to have come across this forum
    6 Months is too long for a serviced apt. For $25K the size will be quite small after a month you guys will be dying for more space and a proper kitchen.

Kellett is one of the harder schools to get in as people apply from birth. However, that shouldn't stop you from applying. It could take 2-3 years.

I know I have said it twice already, but your best chance of getting into Kellett is a Corporate Debenture, which your husband's employer needs to fund. However they are not cheap, so they may not be willing to do so.

Aside from debenture status, the main requirement for Kellett is that your daughter speaks, reads and writes good English (for her age), but obviously you should include any other factors that may help her application on the form, such as her French (which is taught at Kellett, but of course the main second language is Mandarin). Once a place comes up, they will want to see that your daughter is at least as able as other children of her age, ideally above average. All schools in HK like to see a high degree of parental support - some schools check out the parents more intensively than the children, but Kellett isn't quite so full on with that.

Agree with OP that a serviced apartment should be for weeks rather than months. Many of them are only studios/one beds and the decent two bedroom places are expensive. We rented a two-bed at Taikoo Place Apartments for two months while waiting for our furniture to arrive from the UK and to give us some time to decide where we wanted to live longer term. The rent was in excess of HK$90k, even after my employer negotiated a discount. Pacific Place Apartments was even more expensive.