Like Tree26Likes

Moving Anxiety.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Moving Anxiety.

My husband has just taken up a job in Hong Kong-and the bank expects us to be in the country by the first week of September, 2017.

We have a six-year old daughter-who is currently enrolled at the best British school in Pakistan. I've already started getting in touch with ESF schools, and International schools in Hong Kong, thus, am aware of the waiting lists. She's already registered with the Peak School, ESF-and Mount Kelly (which is opening in September-round about the time we fly in and settle down). We have been debating our choice of schools-will she get a chance to learn Mandarin or Cantonese, of the curriculum is the same as the British curriculum.
    Are there any good local schools anyone could recommend? And what is the basic difference between the local and international schools (apart from the fees, of course). Would anyone recommend us opting for a local school?

Also, what are good areas to live in? We will need to reside in our school zone-so please suggest good agents, or residential complexes that we should be looking into.

As happy as I am, over the prospect of moving to new country, and exploring the culture-I am petrified of not being able to adjust. My husband is originally from London-so hes quite comfortable knowing that living style varies. Me, however-am well traveled, but never lived in another country for more than three weeks.
    I am currently a Business head, at a leading fashion house, in Pakistan of course. I don't know if I'll be able to find a job in the Hong Kong market-and don't know what route to take.
    My husband insists I take time off, and settle in the new country, before I start looking for work again-but for someone who has been working for the past 12 years, it is one of the most difficult things to do.
    Any suggestions on how I should aim to look around for a job?

jayinhongkong and z754103 like this.

Welcome to Geoexpat! Moving anxiety is expected, but you sound like a very capable young family and I think you will do very well here.

Where are you planning to live?

Thank you, Jay.

If our daughter gets into the Peak School, ESF-we intend on renting an apartment in the vicinity. In the case of her not being admitted at the school, we'd like to have our contingency plan ready.
    Would you happen to know of any good schools, apart from the very popular international schools in Hong Kong?

Oh, and I'd like to mention, that my husband's office is on Queen's road. Very Central.

We have been researching extensively about the ESF system.

Upon calling all of them (yes, I rang in each and every ESF school listed), Peak school was the one with the shortest waiting list. And that is what we have mentioned in the application form.
    Also, they've mentioned only one application per child-and we have already done so. Is there any way we can apply to other ESF schools simultaneously?

Is the job market difficult to tap into? Considering I do not know any dialects of Chinese.

What's your housing allowance? That would help us a lot in giving you idea.

Kellett School is the most popular amongst the British expats in my circle. It's main campus is now on Kowloon side, but they have a primary school at Pokfulam. It is however very popular. I do know of two families with 6 year olds who are returning to the UK with children at Kellett, so you never know your luck.

Has anyone explained the debenture system to you? Aside from the potential cash impact, you should check if your husband's employer is willing to fund a corporate debenture as this will significantly increase your chances of getting your child a place at the school of your choice.

Shouldn't be that hard for you to find work if you are patient and/or prepared to be flexible on opportunities. A lot of roles are word of mouth here, so networking through other mums, your husband's contacts etc. may well produce results.

Thank you for all the help, truly.

I've been in touch with the Kellet School, they have asked me to get in touch with them after the 25th of August-as they will have clarity on the waiting list. I hope shes admitted at any of the ESF schools.
    The husband and I are thinking, in case we are unable to get her into a school of our choice-me and the little one can fly back, and wait it out till she gets into a good school.

Mat, our housing allowance is between 22-25,000 HKD.

**-I shall have a look at the other forum, that you've mentioned.

Scousebanana-We don't know anyone in Hong Kong at the moment. My husband has asked the Group HR head at his bank to help in connecting me people. I'm hoping something good comes out of that.

22-25K is a lot to some, and not much to some.

22/25 K if your kid go to Peak school and you do not want to be too far...it wont be easy.

The Peak School is in one of the most expensive area of HK...

Kellet (Kowloon Bay) is "better" in that sense since it's lot less expensive to live around there.and you could get a very good flat for 25K in the Tseun Kwan O area with full facilities and easy access to MTR,

shri likes this.

Also have a look at Nord Anglia. Fairly new school as well and following the British curriculum.

Nord Anglia Education

Other schools opening in 2018

Malvern College Hong Kong
    Following the IB curriculum the school will be based in Tai Po and will cater to children from 6-12 years old.

Shrewsbury School
    Following the British national curriculum, the Shrewsbury School will be opening in Tseung Kwan O and will cater to primary school children from 5-11 years old

jayinhongkong likes this.

Other new schools but not British but doing IB like ESF

Stamford American in Hung Hom

American School in Tai Po

jayinhongkong likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast