Like Tree9Likes

Can a child go to primary school directly without kindergarten.?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    It's still illegal though. Many helpers work part time for other employers too, that doesn't make it legal.
    I was responding to this comment by JMBF: 'As far as I'm aware, homeschooling is not permitted after kindergarten.'

This is incorrect. It is permitted.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    It's still illegal though.
    No it is not.

Homeschooling in Hong Kong is not against the law. This has been confirmed by the previous Permanent Secretary of the Education Bureau, Ms. Cherry Tse Ling Kit Ching and also raised by Legislator Dennis Kwok at a meeting of the Legislative Council. The EDB treats homeschooling on a case by case basis. *

http://www.homeschool.hk/#/hkLawsAboutHomeschool

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    As far as I'm aware, homeschooling is not permitted after kindergarten. By law, all children aged 6-15 must attend a registered school.

Not strictly true, there is a homeschooling community here but it's a luxury because at least one parent does not need to work.

I stand corrected, homeschooling is sometimes permitted BUT you have to convince the EDB that you fulfil their requirements. I still think it's dangerous to blindly assume that homeschooling is allowed without restriction. That could lead parents into potential hot water.

HK_Katherine and shri like this.