Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By shafiq

Moving to Hong Kong

Closed Thread

Question Moving to Hong Kong

Hi,
    I am moving to Hong Kong from India on dependant Visa.I am currently working in India and I can work from Home any.
    The question i have is can i continue to work in India located company while staying in Hong Kong. Work From Home is not an Issue. I actually want to know the Tax Implications and am I permitted to work For Indian company?

Thanks

Thanks Nivan.

But can i get more clarity and surety on the subject?

Tax advice is worth what you pay for it. So for surety either you need to pay a professional for advice, or spend time reading the websites of the HK and Indian tax departments.

The HK one is here: Inland Revenue Department

Quote Originally Posted by Juhi1403:
    Hi,
    I am moving to Hong Kong from India on dependant Visa.I am currently working in India and I can work from Home any.
    The question i have is can i continue to work in India located company while staying in Hong Kong. Work From Home is not an Issue. I actually want to know the Tax Implications and am I permitted to work For Indian company?

Thanks
    Where will you be paid? If work for Indian company and paid in India, no tax in HK.

HK follows territorial principle for taxation.
    http://www.ird.gov.hk/eng/paf/bus_pft_tsp.htm

Any money generated in HK through HK employment may be taxed.
    Last edited by shafiq; 02-08-2017 at 11:43 PM.

Thanks Shafiq,
    Are there any legal implications for an Indian company to allow the employee to work from another country(here Hong Kong) for some duration of time and pay in the same currency(here INR) ?

P.S:-Also the company has work from Home policy to allow employees to work from any where.

Quote Originally Posted by Juhi1403:
    Thanks Shafiq,
    Are there any legal implications for an Indian company to allow the employee to work from another country(here Hong Kong) for some duration of time and pay in the same currency(here INR) ?

P.S:-Also the company has work from Home policy to allow employees to work from any where.
    Legal implications depends on the company policy. If the company has clear policy regarding working from home, then it shouldn't be an issue.

For the taxman, it doesn't matter where you work from, but only matters where the income arises. You will be taxed for any income that is generated in India.

Where you work from decides being taxed as resident or non resident, depending on the number of days you spend in India during the preceeding year. You may be taxed as a resident or non resident or resident but not ordinarily resident etc.. If you are freelancing, you will be under GST regime and need to file tax and keep records of earning over 9 lac p.a. Would suggest to contact a consultant on this who could help you with both legal and tax entity..
    Juhi1403 likes this.

Thank you