RO status - Hong Kong ID

Closed Thread

RO status - Hong Kong ID

Hi everyone,

I visited WanChai Immigration tower today to collect my HKID adult ID card. I never had a juvenile card. I've got no stars with the RO status.

When I went through the verification of right of abode/permanent resident, they told me that I had Right of Abode/was an permanent HK resident since birth but because of several reasons, I've lost that status and has now been downgraded down to Right to land.

From what I've gathered, R means I have Right To Land and O means I was born outside of HK.

The question is, do I have to return back to HK every 3 years in order to keep my current Right to land status? I've asked someone at the immigration tower, they said I have the Right to land status so this 3 years rule doesn't apply to me. He also told me that if I had to come back every 3 years, someone would have told me during my process of making the HKID. However, I have a few friend who also has a RO status ID and they've been told that they must go back to HK every 3 years? Maybe they've mistaken CO instead of RO? This is what's confusing me..

many thanks all!

You cannot lose RTL. The 36-month rule only is for ROA for non-Chinese citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by AJZ:
    You cannot lose RTL. The 36-month rule only is for ROA for non-Chinese citizens.
    That's what I thought as I found a website explaining the different scenarios in which non-Chinese citizen will lose their ROA. Many thanks for your reply!

Quote Originally Posted by toyota1:
    Hi everyone,

I visited WanChai Immigration tower today to collect my HKID adult ID card. I never had a juvenile card. I've got no stars with the RO status.

When I went through the verification of right of abode/permanent resident, they told me that I had Right of Abode/was an permanent HK resident since birth but because of several reasons, I've lost that status and has now been downgraded down to Right to land.

From what I've gathered, R means I have Right To Land and O means I was born outside of HK.

The question is, do I have to return back to HK every 3 years in order to keep my current Right to land status? I've asked someone at the immigration tower, they said I have the Right to land status so this 3 years rule doesn't apply to me. He also told me that if I had to come back every 3 years, someone would have told me during my process of making the HKID. However, I have a few friend who also has a RO status ID and they've been told that they must go back to HK every 3 years? Maybe they've mistaken CO instead of RO? This is what's confusing me..

many thanks all!
    People with AO and not of Chinese decent or no 3 stars have to visit HK every 3 years to keep their right of abode status. If not it will be downgraded to right to land, RO.

Right to land stays forever, you don't have to visit HK to keep it valid. If you stay in HK for continuous period of 7 years, you can apply n get back right of abode.

The symbol CO refers to people whose stay is limited by immigration, like work visa holder and dependents.

Quote Originally Posted by shafiq:
    People with AO and not of Chinese decent or no 3 stars have to visit HK every 3 years to keep their right of abode status. If not it will be downgraded to right to land, RO.

Right to land stays forever, you don't have to visit HK to keep it valid. If you stay in HK for continuous period of 7 years, you can apply n get back right of abode.

The symbol CO refers to people whose stay is limited by immigration, like work visa holder and dependents.
    Great reply! I've read about that 7 years period before. Do you know anything about how long you may leave HK during the 7 years period in order for it to not be restarted?

I'll definitely need to ask my friend, cos he's been told that he has to return every 3 years...and I'm fairly certain that he has RO just like me. Or maybe he somehow got ROA as non citizen.

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by toyota1:
    Great reply! I've read about that 7 years period before. Do you know anything about how long you may leave HK during the 7 years period in order for it to not be restarted?

I'll definitely need to ask my friend, cos he's been told that he has to return every 3 years...and I'm fairly certain that he has RO just like me. Or maybe he somehow got ROA as non citizen.

cheers!
    Continuous period of 7 years is required. When you apply for verification of ROA, in the application form, you can have leniency upto 6 months break for study or medical reasons. There is no hard and fast rule about the clock resetting, but if you make HK your habitual residence, it should be good enough.

Being employed here for 7 years and taking breaks in-between for travelling shouldn't be a problem.