Like Tree23Likes

UBER Fare Increases in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    Surely that's the point of how Uber was supposed to work? If there is high demand and low supply of drivers, then it should automatically set to the amount where the market is optimal. the surge pricing will increase the fares and you can pay more if you feel it is still worth it.

If the fare is too low, there will be fewer drivers who want to work, and the fare will automatically rise as supply drops against demand. and vice versa.

Now Uber is artificially setting the fares, you will likely get a higher supply of drivers who are lured by the potential higher fares, but a lower demand as many potential passengers decide it is not good value anymore. Overall the drivers will get fewer rides and income will likely go down.
    No. All markets need rules to function properly and some of those rules should be minimum fees. Otherwise it is just a race to the bottom and that harms society. Appropriately (as light a possible to ensure 'safety' and competition) regulated competition should be the aim.

The current earnings of UBER drivers are too low to ensure good coverage meaning the service is unreliable if you don't want to start near the commercial and business districts.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    No. All markets need rules to function properly and some of those rules should be minimum fees. Otherwise it is just a race to the bottom and that harms society. Appropriately (as light a possible to ensure 'safety' and competition) regulated competition should be the aim.

The current earnings of UBER drivers are too low to ensure good coverage meaning the service is unreliable if you don't want to start near the commercial and business districts.
    Sure, put the flagfall up, but the admin fee?
    East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Sure, put the flagfall up, but the admin fee?
    They have 2 student interns and a full time employee to pay for HK. As well as a 9000sft office.

vs a normal HK Office

Obviously not worried about costs. Their surge algorithms must be working well ..

Original Post Deleted
    You may be right and increased income may not be enough to encourage more drivers to join Uber.

Uber has bad service too. Some call and ask where you want to go and tell us to please cancel the hail on the app. Happened to us several times on long hauls between airport and Tuen Mun. Most of the time we ride over the minimum fare but once a while I think I would want the service on close route too without feeling a sense of rage from the driver. Now that they raise the minimum fare means they definitely discourages short distances.

Original Post Deleted
    Just put in a bad rating every time. Don't bother much because there will always be a few jerks here and there.

I've never been a Uber user (because getting into the private vehicle of someone I don't know just doesn't feel comfortable), but maybe I've misunderstood here. Isn't the esssence of Uber that you enter in the app where you want to go before the call goes out for a car and therefore that you know the price up front?

Original Post Deleted
    My husband said he put in complaints every time but Uber doesn't offer a satisfactory solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Home_Mom:
    My husband said he put in complaints every time but Uber doesn't offer a satisfactory solution.
    I don't think they can do anything because it shows you cancelled the trip. Not the driver. And he called you over the phone, so unless you have a recording...

Next time tell him to cancel as you are not familiar with the app. I think they get black marks if they cancel too many trips.