The Cheap Life

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Cheap Life

Hello,

I will be moving to Hk in a couple of months on an internship. I will be recieving $6200 per month. Now, I know this is not much and I have heard it will be quite difficult not to go into debt on this amount. However, I would like to hear people's thoughts on if this is possible.

I am very willing to share a flat (and have seen open rooms advertised for $3000 and less. I am also fine with eating the cheapest of the cheap in terms of food and could, heaven forbid, cook for myself sometimes.

Also, does anyone know whether it is plausible to expct that I could do some private tutoring in the evenings and weekends?

Any imput - or suggestions for living frugally - would be appreciated.

If you can keep your rental and travel costs down to a minimum, you'll be ok with that amount.

Your first week or two will definately be a little bit expensive -- while you look around, find a flat or room to share.

Where is your internship? If it's out of the Central strip you can live nearer your work such as Sheung Wan, North Point, Shatin etc where everything is cheaper, though you may have more trouble with a shared place.

Hi

I am intern also, and it is very difficult to follow expat friends. They never want to eat in cheap chinese restaurant, so I decided to cook, even for lunch, to save money during the week and spend it during the week ends.

It seems quite easy to find a job after work, I am designer and most of the designers i know are doing free lance. I think you can teach english, I saw some ads of chinese people seeking for a native english speaker.

I live in sheung wan, not too far to the pubs, sharing an old but spacious flat.

good luck

The office is in Quarry Bay. I have had Sheung Wan mentioned to me a couple of times. Is this a reasonalbe commute?

Is it difficult to find a flat share in the areas you have mentioned?

Thanks for your help.

Yupi,

if you dont mind my asking: how much are you paying for your room, and based on your experiences there, is my salary reasonable to live on?

4000 my room, 50m2 for two

6200 is not enough if you want to travel a little and go out

but as a trainee i think it is normal, many companies propose less

hi,

dont forget the upfront deposit (bond). if you rent on your own you will probably need 3 months rent in hand (2 months for deposit + 1st month in advance), if you use an agency you need to pay another 1/2 month for the agent.

Sharing is bit more under predictable, you might be asked for one month deposit + 1 month in advance, some ask for more.

considering my income, i think i will have to share anyways. I'm really aiming to get a room for 3000 or less. should i be surfing the net trying to make arrangements before i come or is it really one of those things where you have to be in the city to secure?

someone has also mentioned the Y in Jordan as a possibility. does anyone know about this place and the cost?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast