Like Tree31Likes

Is it legal to hire a P/T domestic helper on Sunday/day off?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Is it legal to hire a P/T domestic helper on Sunday/day off?

Hi,

I am trying to hire a LEGAL P/T helper (4 hours per week for HK 1200 month plus extra when I travel for cat care) but live on Peng Chau where I am not sure how to find a local legal HK person. Posted a paid ad and getting a lot of responses for people who want to work Sundays, these are probably not people who could come for cat care... To be honest, don't really need much help, trying to line up someone local for pet sitting when I travel as pet sitters won't come to Peng Chau.

Mainly trying to find a local person on Peng Chau, but is using a domestic helper on her day off legal? I can't risk doing even the slightest illegal thing but day off seems unclear, I know live out is definitely illegal. Thanks for all your replies to this newbie poster. Want to do the right thing and be a reasonable employer.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Hi,

I am trying to hire a LEGAL P/T helper (4 hours per week for HK 1200 month plus extra when I travel for cat care) but live on Peng Chau where I am not sure how to find a local legal HK person. Posted a paid ad and getting a lot of responses for people who want to work Sundays, these are probably not people who could come for cat care... To be honest, don't really need much help, trying to line up someone local for pet sitting when I travel as pet sitters won't come to Peng Chau.

Mainly trying to find a local person on Peng Chau, but is using a domestic helper on her day off legal? I can't risk doing even the slightest illegal thing but day off seems unclear, I know live out is definitely illegal. Thanks for all your replies to this newbie poster. Want to do the right thing and be a reasonable employer.
    Yes it is illegal (but common).

Thanks for your quick reply, I figured that was the case because I think domestic helpers are limited to one employer. Trying with ERB as well to see if they can find a local Peng Chau person to help me out. Wish we just had a bulletin board in our local Wellcome!! Would be much easier and could get my co-workers to help me out with a Chinese ad.

Try and see if there's a facebook group (for residents of Peng Chau) you can post to. Usually a good mix between local and others looking to pick up extra bucks.

Yes. Hiring a domestic helper part time is illegal. You can hire a maid agency but the rates are much higher. If you hire a DH then offer to pay the ferry fares.

It is illegal but never enforced. So technically you can get away with it without any problem

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    It is illegal but never enforced. So technically you can get away with it without any problem
    Never?

Oh please! they definitely do get caught, the fines are hefty and if you're on a conditional work visa yourself, likely kiss that bye bye as you broke the conditions of it.

It's usually other helpers that lag you into the authorities because of some petty argument between them and the one you hired illegally.

The risk of getting caught is small and all fine until, you're the bunny that gets caught.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 29-01-2018 at 08:10 AM.
    z754103 and MandM! like this.

For Sunday light stuff and pet sitting have you thought of local kids ? Perhaps expat kids of friends etc? They are often keen to earn extra pocket money.

Well, I am a lawyer, so breaking any laws, not a good thing for me, professionally, not sure if the US would take any action on that sort of thing but not eager to find out. There is some sort of Facebook news group, could try them in Chinese as, basically, local Chinese person on Peng Chau is my ideal candidate. There are local cleaners who come daily to my block of flats, could hand over a letter in Chinese with my job ad. Also did e-mail some pet sitters and one service was willing to come to Peng Chau, that is basically my main issue- I live alone, not all that much housework to clean 466 square feet...

Probably going to take down my ad for a Legal PT helper as I am being inundated with requests from potential Sunday workers who wouldn't be able to do the cat sitting, which, like I said, is the main issue.

Should have started with the pet sitters but when I lived on Peng Chau 2011-2012, NO ONE was willing to come that far, for any price (willing to pay handsomely for travel time and ferry fare)- the times they have changed- I am amazed to see so many expats since I moved back to Peng Chau from the US- when I lived there was a tiny handful, if that. So I guess more people willing to provide expat-type services like pet sitting. My cats are psycho-shy so boarding them is NOT an option, they would completely freak out.

Anyway, thanks again to all for the advice, probably handing out Chinese language job ads probably best bet, next best hope that when I travel there will still be a pet sitter willing to come to Peng Chau, third option, pay a coworker (some still live at home) to flat sit while I travel- I have a beautiful sea view, super nice remodeled flat so not too hard to convince people to stay there.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Well, I am a lawyer, so breaking any laws, not a good thing for me
    said no one ever

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast