Like Tree6Likes

Second WW2 bomb found in Wanchai

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Second WW2 bomb found in Wanchai

Here we go again.

Second 450kg bomb found at Hong Kong site where wartime explosive was unearthed over weekend | South China Morning Post

Oh jeez ... again?
    @markranson - were you called upon?

markranson likes this.

crap bombs eh, 2 biggies and both didnt explode LOL

As long as the tonno bar is accessible after work I don't care!

Planning on getting bombed eh?

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Planning on getting bombed eh?
    Or looking for a quick bang

Oh jeez ... again?
    @markranson - were you called upon?
    Hi Shri, No, once the bombs are found, it's up to the HK Police EOD Bureau to deal with them. They have the legal jurisdiction to do it and the correct equipment.

What we do is search for the devices ahead of the construction workers so that some poor bugger in a Komatsu excavator doesn't hit a UXO with his bucket. Or it's what we would do if anyone in the HK construction industry/government took the issue seriously. My article on the Construction Post website explains in dreary detail: An Explosive risk to construction workers - Construction News Hong Kong and MacauConstruction News Hong Kong and Macau | Your definitive guide to the industry

The assumption here seems to be that these devices never explode when found by construction workers so, once you do find one, call the police, let them cause massive inconvenience and then get back to work ASAP. Sadly, this is not the case. The police would not be so careful if there was no danger and, in fact, people are killed every day, all over the world by these things.

I was just interviewed by RTHK regarding this. Not sure if it was live on air.
    drumbrake and shri like this.

Thanks Mark. Thought you'd be suited up and called in, given a random post about explaining your business to HSBC...

markranson likes this.

Thanks Mark. Thought you'd be suited up and called in, given a random post about explaining your business to HSBC...
    Yes, it was a challenge trying to explain the business to the Know Your Client rep.

Quote Originally Posted by markranson:
    Hi Shri, No, once the bombs are found, it's up to the HK Police EOD Bureau to deal with them. They have the legal jurisdiction to do it and the correct equipment.

What we do is search for the devices ahead of the construction workers so that some poor bugger in a Komatsu excavator doesn't hit a UXO with his bucket. Or it's what we would do if anyone in the HK construction industry/government took the issue seriously. My article on the Construction Post website explains in dreary detail: An Explosive risk to construction workers - Construction News Hong Kong and MacauConstruction News Hong Kong and Macau | Your definitive guide to the industry

The assumption here seems to be that these devices never explode when found by construction workers so, once you do find one, call the police, let them cause massive inconvenience and then get back to work ASAP. Sadly, this is not the case. The police would not be so careful if there was no danger and, in fact, people are killed every day, all over the world by these things.

I was just interviewed by RTHK regarding this. Not sure if it was live on air.
    One of my ex clients is in the EOD business, very interesting line of work but as you say I often see him refer to certain tragedies in the countries they operate in.
    markranson likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast