Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

French guy here, should I keep studying or move to HK?

Question French guy here, should I keep studying or move to HK?

Hello,
    I'm a French guy with an associate in IT as an Analyst Programmer (2 years study). I'm dating my GF from Hong Kong for more than 2 years and I came to visit her very often. I applied for a working holidays visa a few months ago and I'm currently in Hong Kong.
    The problem is that I'm doubting my ability to live here with my actual degree and almost no experience in companies.

I'm wondering whether I should go back to France to finish my studies and get my master (5 years study), or stay in Hong Kong and try to find a job here.

I have no idea what would be the best since Hong Kong is different from France. Am I qualified enough to get a good job? Or should I keep studying. Thanks in advance.

Hello, it is not easy to find a job in another country especially without working experience.
    Do you speak cantonese? mandarin? You will need to be sponsored by a company for your working visa:
    not so easy with your background...
    Myself with 6 years' experience in programming I am still looking for a job even if I am in HK since november.

I don't say it is impossible but it won't be easy... Best of luck.

westlose likes this.

My advice: you're young, don't get yourself caught up in a relationship that will affect your working career for the rest of your life. Enjoy life do things in europe--complete your bachelor's degree (masters is often overkill) then things should fall in place.

On the other hand you could get married to your GF and live with her and her family and give half your salary to the family. You'll have a dependent visa and could get a job as a bus driver or restaurant worker if you can't find an IT job.

You're young, don't come here!!!

westlose and DimSumBond like this.

could get a job as a bus driver
    "could" is rather optimistic. I doubt it is realistically possible / probable
    MandM! and westlose like this.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

With a two year general degree in programming it will be very tough to find a job here. If you had a Masters specializing in cloud, fintech, blockchain, or AI, then it shouldn't be a problem.

westlose likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BertrandHK
    Do you speak cantonese? mandarin? You will need to be sponsored by a company for your working visa:
    not so easy with your background...
    I can only speak French and English unfortunately. That makes it even harder to find a job here I guess.

I don't like to say it's hard to find a job. HK is just more focused. It's important to identify a niche area and tackle it with confidence. You need the right personality to sell yourself to get a job - there are too many people so they won't just give you a job because you showed up to an interview. Most of the jobs here would not translate well to let you work with the likes of Google in the future. So you'll be setting yourself up to only be employable by small and possibly medium companies for your career.

hin23leung and westlose like this.

There are plenty of French here but they don't work in IT. Easy way would be to copy what the French are doing.

westlose likes this.

You have to remember that for a company to want to hire an expat, you have to be able to offer something that locals can't offer. That's much harder to do when you're starting your career and you don't have outstanding qualifications. Ask yourself what you have that a local doesn't. They have the advantage of being able to communicate with everyone and no need to deal with immigration. Your best bet would be to find work with a French outfit. Keep in ind that when you are young, relationships can be fleeting, I wouldn't play jeopardize with my career for a young lady.If it's meant to be, it'll work out in the end but you should do what's best for your future first.

westlose likes this.

Thanks for your answers guys. You told me that french companies don't look for IT here in HK. Maybe it is worthless to finish my IT studies then? In what skills are the french companies looking for?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast