Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jgl
  • 1 Post By jgl

USA voltage converter (220 v to 110v. 1500 watts)

Closed Thread

USA voltage converter (220 v to 110v. 1500 watts)

Hello,

I’m looking to buy a USA voltage converter (220 v to 110v. 1500 watts), this is to use for home appliances purchased from the US. Please let me know if you one to sell !

thanks!

Be sure to get EXTRA wattage

Not American. Just made a mistake of ordering from Amazon US

What appliances did you buy? Send them back and ask for a refund. Its not worth the hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ.Kay:
    Hello,

I’m looking to buy a USA voltage converter (220 v to 110v. 1500 watts), this is to use for home appliances purchased from the US. Please let me know if you one to sell !

thanks!
    If you leave a 1500W transformer plugged in, it will constantly consume power regardless if it's powering anything else. I cannot remember how much, but this will be in the tens of watts, it would cost at least a couple hundred dollars a year to leave one plugged into mains power.

It will also constantly generate heat, which is not ideal for HK. And if you're running anything off it that is frequency dependent (motors, clocks), you have a 60/50Hz frequency mismatch.

I use a transformer for one device at home, but I fully weighed up the downsides before getting it.
    imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    If you leave a 1500W transformer plugged in, it will constantly consume power regardless if it's powering anything else.
    If that is a concern you can make use of the ON/OFF switch. It's not that complicated.

I would replace the thing with something local before spending more $$ on something I won't need in the future.

Golden Edge Group Limited

If you leave a 1500W transformer plugged in, it will constantly consume power regardless if it's powering anything else. I cannot remember how much, but this will be in the tens of watts, it would cost at least a couple hundred dollars a year to leave one plugged into mains power.

It will also constantly generate heat, which is not ideal for HK. And if you're running anything off it that is frequency dependent (motors, clocks), you have a 60/50Hz frequency mismatch.

I use a transformer for one device at home, but I fully weighed up the downsides before getting it.
    i presume high end audiophile grade equipment which is not available in HK, thus, justifiable in using 'bit of a hassle' step down transformers

@AJ.Kay What did you get? Not that many things need that much power and at the same time make sense to ship internationally.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    i presume high end audiophile grade equipment which is not available in HK, thus, justifiable in using 'bit of a hassle' step down transformers
    I thought shippable audio gear wouldn't use too much. Kitchen appliances, hair driers or space heaters on the other hand...
    imparanoic likes this.

@AJ.Kay What did you get? Not that many things need that much power and at the same time make sense to ship internationally.

I thought shippable audio gear wouldn't use too much. Kitchen appliances, hair driers or space heaters on the other hand...
    well, if you have US versions of Krell Power & Pre Amps, that will take quite a bit of power