Like Tree81Likes

What would be considered a "very good" salary in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

If you are single and don't plan to own property. It's peanuts in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    What are you smoking?
    Edwardstorm, timonoj and MerMer like this.

Each to their own.

Each to their own.
    Indeed. Now all you need to do is change your username to taitai-4-life

40k is peanuts to rent a property and lead a comfortable life for a single person in hk...? Your comments remind me of someone who's very dear to me. Sadly though, he's diagnosed with dementia.
    Vix85 likes this.

If anyone wants to know how to act like a pedantic donkey, you now know who to ask... Single people living in a 40K flat would be a pretty small minority
    Kowloon Goon likes this.

Personally I wouldn't come to HK to rent a property, it's foolish. And coming here on a 80-90k salary, unless you have a crap ton of cash saved, you're not going to be able to buy a property nor save enough to buy one.

You can look at new properties in the range of what 6m gets you 3xx sq ft. Not what I would call a nice flat. You start to have some choices closer to 20m, but even if you need to get something more economical in the beginning, you need at least 8-10m to get a small 2 bed.

Buying property for a foreigner coming here I would say is a must. You can own your own place and not play the games with the agents and landlords. It's easy to manage anywhere, property taxes are cheap, and it's setting yourself up for retirement should you leave later, you have a steady stream of income to come, and rent will always go UP. Plus, property appreciation can easily net you an extra HK$1m per year in net worth. If a cheaper home (4-6m), at least HK$500k per year in appreciation.

When you have family in town, I personally would treat my family to a nice dinner. That's 10k for a dinner for 4.

When you want to travel, a 3-4 week holiday once a year to France, Niseko, Australia, Maldives, can easily run you HK$150k for a couple.

The costs to have a car, petrol, tolls, etc, unless you want to sit on overcrowded public transportation. Easily adds up.

Someone coming from the US might think 80-90k per month is a lot or a so called hot shot and you'll have a baller apartment because you'd be spending US$5,000 per month. In the US, you'd have 10,000 sq ft mansions at that price in the suburbs, be in the top 99.99%. Or even in New York, you'd be able to get a nice apartment on 5th Ave. But in HK, 80-90k salary is shit, you won't be anywhere close to that. Especially for HK.

thanks for the response. i am NOT looking to buy a property, just rent. so with that as well, you think a 80-90k salary a month is terrible. ? wow, did not think of it that way

do you mean 8-\0-90k a year or a month, is shit

Personally I wouldn't come to HK to rent a property, it's foolish. And coming here on a 80-90k salary, unless you have a crap ton of cash saved, you're not going to be able to buy a property nor save enough to buy one.

You can look at new properties in the range of what 6m gets you 3xx sq ft. Not what I would call a nice flat. You start to have some choices closer to 20m, but even if you need to get something more economical in the beginning, you need at least 8-10m to get a small 2 bed.

Buying property for a foreigner coming here I would say is a must. You can own your own place and not play the games with the agents and landlords. It's easy to manage anywhere, property taxes are cheap, and it's setting yourself up for retirement should you leave later, you have a steady stream of income to come, and rent will always go UP. Plus, property appreciation can easily net you an extra HK$1m per year in net worth. If a cheaper home (4-6m), at least HK$500k per year in appreciation.

When you have family in town, I personally would treat my family to a nice dinner. That's 10k for a dinner for 4.

When you want to travel, a 3-4 week holiday once a year to France, Niseko, Australia, Maldives, can easily run you HK$150k for a couple.

The costs to have a car, petrol, tolls, etc, unless you want to sit on overcrowded public transportation. Easily adds up.

Someone coming from the US might think 80-90k per month is a lot or a so called hot shot and you'll have a baller apartment because you'd be spending US$5,000 per month. In the US, you'd have 10,000 sq ft mansions at that price in the suburbs, be in the top 99.99%. Or even in New York, you'd be able to get a nice apartment on 5th Ave. But in HK, 80-90k salary is shit, you won't be anywhere close to that. Especially for HK.
    What a load of crap. Why would you have to buy an apartment here? I got multiple properties in Europe but most certainly not in HK. You really live in a dream world. A single guy coming to HK on 80/90K a month can have a great time here. 10K for a dinner with 4 people, 150K for a holiday?. I agree with Golem on this one