25+ male asking for your advice on immigration and career options abroad

Closed Thread

25+ male asking for your advice on immigration and career options abroad

Hi all, thanks in advance for reading my post. Currently, I am exploring immigration and career options overseas. About my background: I grew up in Singapore and the US, both I consider the latter my home more than the former.

FYI, I don't have a US green card and hold a PRC passport (didn't serve the Singaporean military and had to give up my PR there, which was fine because I prefer the US anyway). I currently work as a Management Trainee in a property developer with a pay of ~$22K HKD and housing provided (roughly ~$8K HKD in value if shared with two roommates)/month. Is it possible for me to get an equivalent compensation in Canada or any other English-speaking country? My title of Management Trainee must be vague so let's say I'm a trainee in Leasing or Property Management. The ideal case is to go to a place that's as multicultural as possible; Also, I don't mind living a little further from Vancouver since I'm already taking long commutes every day (my residence is closer to the Chinese border than my office) anyway.

The reason my post shows an implicit slant towards Canada is because it might be the most feasible option at the moment. I qualify for neither Australia's 189 PR permit (at least two years of work experience) nor New Zealand's PR program (didn't meet the minimum of 100 points). I am hesitant to go to UK due to Brexit but I don't mind hearing info related to Germany, Netherlands or even Dubai-almost anywhere with high standards of English really. Meanwhile, I am one requirement short of the FSW program (i.e., the one year of unbroken work experience). I have my IELTS scores (8+ average) and WES certification (Master's degree) already. However, my one year of work experience right now is in different job codes (got rotated) which doesn't count.

Sorry if my post seems kind of meandering; I'm just flashing out my thoughts as they come. I avoided saying the reasons why I'm trying to leave because I don't want this to turn into yet another rant. We have enough of those threads already. I just want to know how best to prepare for a new life in Canada and, in my case, how best to go about job searching as a real estate professional in/around Vancouver or elsewhere. Do Canadian real estate firms and recruiters recognize HK work experience or do I need to go through a grad program (MRE, MBA, etc.) in Canada to establish myself in the job market? That would not be cheap, even for PRs, but hey gotta do what you gotta do. It's too early for me to be asking all these considering I don't even have PR yet but the uncertainty bothers me. Thank you all in advance.
    Last edited by geoheyexpat; 13-06-2018 at 09:49 AM.

Hmm I should probably trim my post. Yes, a few PNPs actually. They're actually harder than the FSW (e.g., require two years of work experience). My core question though is: Do Canadian real estate firms and recruiters recognize HK work experience or do I need to go through a grad program (MRE, MBA, etc.) in Canada to establish myself in the job market? Thanks **

Last edited by geoheyexpat; 13-06-2018 at 09:52 AM.

Does the trimmed post look better now? Oh and my second important question is: with my current compensation, can I find a job with an equivalent compensation in Canada?

? Why is your friend's son ineligible? I can find his job code on the CIC website since I also used to work in Marketing. There are also job codes for my industry.
    The wait is ~6 months on average but my question is really about (1) job searching for real estate people in Canada and (2) the pay as compared to HK real estate industry. Maybe...GeoExpat isn't the right place to ask? After all, I'm asking about a specific niche.

Canada is a pain in the butt for immigration for normal folks from what I hear. Marry a Canadian would be an option. The company has to spend quite a bit of money on paperwork to get you a legal status. Even some larger companies have decided not to go that route to hiring foreigners.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Canada is a pain in the butt for immigration for normal folks from what I hear. Marry a Canadian would be an option. The company has to spend quite a bit of money on paperwork to get you a legal status. Even some larger companies have decided not to go that route to hiring foreigners.
    Or be willing to lend the govt money like a loooot of $$$$$