Like Tree19Likes

Electricity @ $17KWH

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

The rate should be near 1.3 / KWh for HK Island, and 1.1 / KWh in Kowloon. As pointed out above, while it is illegal it is very common for sub-divided flats. You can complain and then the utility will cut the power so all three units have no electricity. Many have complained that sub-divided tenants will not benefit from the new electricity subsidy from the government, the meter owner will get the benefit.

That's why I think you are off by a decimal- 1.7- still overcharging but not by that much- 17 is just silly, I do really think a typo- I have seen worse typos in contracts I reviewed. You have nothing to lose by going the friendly "hey I found a typo" route...even if the agent says it's not- if you have the landlord contact info it's worth a try.

shri, Fiona in HKG and spode like this.

Update: Good heavens. Miscommunication. Agent confirmed the next day that what she wrote was $1.7, not $17. Relieved! Thanks much!

Good news: Just miscommunication. Agent confirmed the next day that what she wrote was $1.7, not $17. Relieved! Thanks much!

You're still being scammed, and both subdividing apartments and reselling electricity are illegal. I'd be wary.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    You're still being scammed, and both subdividing apartments and reselling electricity are illegal. I'd be wary.
    There are legal subdivided apartments as well, no?

I appreciate this. My professor also warned me about this scamming which because of the absence of regulation has been condoned and appear to be legal.

It appears that subdivided apartments are not illegal. In fact there's no law against them much more their excessive utility charges.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3