Whats the chances of an Aussie girl meeting a nice expat...

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by aussiegal:
    This is true. Our helper has a college degree as does her sister. When I commented and asked wouldn't she rather be doing something with her degree she laughed and said it's no big deal, they kind of hand them out to anyone who can pay to attend.
    You appear to be very confident that this doesn't apply to Aussie degrees. I know some locals who graduated from UniSA who claim that was exactly why they chose to go there....

Hmm, wonder what you would say if you had to tidy up the household of some, say, Indian family, if they were going to ask you if you wouldn't rather do something according to your education. "Oh, yeah, you know, but I would earn still less because my home country is a corrupt mess and even as a qualified nurse I would earn only half of what I get now?"
    People don't necessarily like being pitied. Btw, look how many Filipinas work in UK/Irish hospital. Cant be such bad degrees...

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    By choosing to relate and propagate that story to try to make a point, you in effect endorse or support it.
    Hmm, repeating something someone said to me is propogating a story? So next time you hear or read something, anything, even being related first hand, don't bother telling us... you'll just be propogating something...

Er2, you always take things out of context. Perhaps English is not your first language or else you are just argumentative?

We were talking about in the context of degrees from the Phillipines so I gave the example of our helper. Of course it applies to many, many universities and I was going to give the example of some unis in Oz but felt it unnecessary as it's a more than obvious statement.

As for your comment - "Hmm, wonder what you would say if you had to tidy up the household of some, say, Indian family, if they were going to ask you if you wouldn't rather do something according to your education." - again completely ridiculous given you don't know the context of my conversation with our helper. I was discussing the fact that when we leave if there is anything I can do to help her move into a decent paying job I would, particularly if it meant using her degree. That's when she laughed and said their degrees were meaningless. And yes, we pay well above award wage before you take another thing out of context.

Look, the reality is that most South East Asian women in their 20's have lived tougher lives than a 20 something westerner making it easier for them to be able to have a meaningful conversation with a 50 year old. But then you have the question of their intentions. You can't deny most are trying to change their situations. They want a better life. Hull, you do seem to have gotten lucky, from all your previous threads you seem to have a wife that genuinely loves you but how often is it the case that the woman actually falls in love with the man for the usual reasons more privileged people do - love, etc, not just their ability to make their lives better?

And I'm not condemning them for doing it. If I was living in poverty and had the chance at a better life, an opportunity to look after my family etc I'd take it.

Some of you are more interested in staying PC than having a real discussion here.
    I agree with you. I know i was not the person I am now at 20, and I much prefer the mature me. It does seem to be "political correctness" talking here to say that the young SE Asian women with older men just happened to fall in love, rather than specifically to be looking for stability/money. I mean, look at the cultures involved. Many of these cultures think that marrying for love is bizarre and that marriages should be 1) arranged 2) are all about money/prospects and / or having kids.

Given that they clearly do not think it 'wrong' to be picking a mate for his prospects rather than his good looks or witty conversation, why should this surprise us?

OF COURSE there are exceptions. There are always exceptions. But what Aussiegal is saying would appear to be a more reasonable stereotype than not.

I think the OP has lost interest in this thread but you good people carry on.

Hmm, repeating something someone said to me is propogating a story? So next time you hear or read something, anything, even being related first hand, don't bother telling us... you'll just be propogating something...
    I agree, you just relayed a relevant comment in the context of what was being discussed..

Quote Originally Posted by discobay:
    I think the OP has lost interest in this thread but you good people carry on.
    I don't know about that.. isn't Australia about 3 hours ahead of Hong Kong? And tonight is a Friday night, is it not? Speaking of, I gotta scoot out now...!

[QUOTE=hongkong7;280347]Gilly,

hope your still there and following the thread- which is getting a little tangential to say the least and moving into UWG/HAC( ugly white guy with hot asian chick )territory-that old chestnut

Hi to you all. Yes well I did leave for a little while and have come back reading these threads and i must say having a chuckle... WHAT is going on over there? Don't any of you have faith? My marriage breakdown was terrible for me emotionally and some people on here are quick to pick up on the fact that im 37 and single... well you know what? My marriage broke down because of him having an affair 2.5 years ago, and i have chosen to be single ever since = my choice to be so. So for all those people above that are quick to judge - at times, certain situations makes us to be single at the age we are at, especially when it takes a few years to get over.. .i finally make the move in my head to consider overseas alternatives, and you get slammed on here... by a minor few who i can only assume don't have a happy life themselves

[QUOTE=gilleshk;280363]
    I would never seriously date someone that doesn't make good money or have a university education

I have never read as something as shallow in my life

OK fact - I am 51, my wife 27. We have deep and meaningfuls. She can do more than just smile and nod. I can show her off in public (in fact the Pro-Vice Chancellor of my University who has met her, specifically invited her to a black tie dinner hosted by the British Council as a guest of the University). Its bollox Jim.[/QUOTE]

Hah, Jimbo, now we have the REAL side of the story, hence the defensiveness... if only he learns how to spell bollocks

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I mean, look at the cultures involved. Many of these cultures think that marrying for love is bizarre and that marriages should be 1) arranged 2) are all about money/prospects and / or having kids.

Given that they clearly do not think it 'wrong' to be picking a mate for his prospects rather than his good looks or witty conversation, why should this surprise us?

Can you names these cultures? Can you give examples of marriages that are all about money/prospects/having kids?

I give up, you stick to your stereotypes if it makes you feel secure and superior. There are cases as you and others describe but they are a minority. Life and love are complex, not simple stupid generalisations. Talk about not being able to have deep and meaningful conversations with 20 somethings! I have much deeper and more meaningful discussions about the motivations behind relationships with my wife.

Some relationships I know:

A Filipina with two boyfriends, one western one Filipino. Loved them both. Chose the poorer Filipino to marry.

A Filipina whose husband is a shit but none of us can get her to see it because she loves him even though he gives her very little money (I mean just pocket money of a HKD 100 every now and again).

A Filipina who had the choice of a rich banker on the south side of Hong Kong but instead chose a poorer man because the banker was the stereotype of a banker and she didn't love him.

An 18 year old Filipina who married a very poor 63 year old Filipino.

I know several girls who have turned down proposals from rich westerners because they didn't love them.

How do all these fit with your simple picture of the world. Of course they could all be exceptions.

True I know many who consider the money the prospective husband can bring to the table, money is a factor in many relationships, I am not blind or stupid, but it is a factor not "all about" in the majority of cases.

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast