Whats the chances of an Aussie girl meeting a nice expat...

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    Maybe I fall in love because someone has huge boobs,
    Ummm no that would be Lust not Love

And exactly who is to say what generates love for another person? Maybe I fall in love because someone has huge boobs, maybe I fall in love because someone has a nice smile, maybe I fall in love because someone is kind, maybe I fall in love because someone takes care of me well, maybe I fall in love because she is a demon in bed...Maybe because she challenges me intellectually or physically. Who cares frankly if it works...

Trying to judge other people's motivation, values or emotions by our own is extremely egocentric...

Case and point with one of my friend who married a very attractive, professional lady who is way richer and more successful than him and quite a bit younger. He is quite overweight, not the swiftest guy around but he has a heart of gold and she certainly seems to love him.

I would never in a million years have a relationship a DH, someone from a poor country, someone uneducated, a smoker or drinker and I've never really been interested in women way younger than me although I don't reject the idea out of hand. That's my decision according to my values and I don't see why I should look down my nose at people making different choices...We all fart out of the same orifice and we'll all end up the same way... Dust to dust! Just because you might not find happiness a certain way, it doesn't mean other people can't...
    Very well said (though I don't understand why you rule out people from poor countries - what if they were millionaires themselves, highly educated, etc. etc.)

And my wife ticks all the boxes in your first paragraph, except her boobs are nice but not huge

I would never in a million years have a relationship a DH, someone from a poor country, someone uneducated, a smoker or drinker and I've never really been interested in women way younger than me although I don't reject the idea out of hand. That's my decision according to my values and I don't see why I should look down my nose at people making different choices...We all fart out of the same orifice and we'll all end up the same way... Dust to dust! Just because you might not find happiness a certain way, it doesn't mean other people can't...
    Define Poor?

The U.S and U.K and Iceland are pretty poor right now so I guess that lowers your options!

Quote Originally Posted by Max:
    That's being rather presumptuous! No reason to criticize their education system!
    It was my helper that derided her education system not me..

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Very well said (though I don't understand why you rule out people from poor countries - what if they were millionaires themselves, highly educated, etc. etc.)

And my wife ticks all the boxes in your first paragraph, except her boobs are nice but not huge
    That's obviously because I'm a snob...I don't actually care where they are from as long as they bring as much as I do to the table in terms of education and money. If I'm a relationship, I want to feel that it's an equal partnership, I don't want to feel like I am taking care of someone. I like strong women in all aspects...physically, intellectually and financially. None of that weaker sex for me...

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Ummm no that would be Lust not Love
    Maybe for you but not necessarily for all...

Quote Originally Posted by aussiegal:
    It was my helper that derided her education system not me..
    By choosing to relate and propagate that story to try to make a point, you in effect endorse or support it.

Gilly, you might conclude from some of these posts that your chances are nil given that you are waaay over the hill, and DHs are generally waay more interesting..

From my observations, the vast majority of guys in HK are players (but yes, as someone pointed out, it can go both ways too).

Having said that, it's not all doom and gloom. As far as bars are concerned, generaly it's all about fun, but as everyone has been repeating verbatim here, there are always exceptions to the rule:
    - A girlfriend of mine in her 30s got married within months after meeting a guy at an infamous nightclub here in HK.
    - Glenn McGrath, legendary Australian cricketer, met his now sadly deceased wife Jane at Joe Bananas, in the infamous district of Wanchai..

Also, a few guys I know of have had a few flings here but in the end settled down with gals from their hometown. One thing I can say is there is no shortage of people to meet. There seem to be a lot more unmarried guys here in their 30s and older than Melbourne, my hometown. However, temper this with the playground comments I made earlier..

Last edited by muse07; 21-11-2008 at 07:00 PM. Reason: added to post

That's obviously because I'm a snob...I don't actually care where they are from as long as they bring as much as I do to the table in terms of education and money. If I'm a relationship, I want to feel that it's an equal partnership, I don't want to feel like I am taking care of someone. I like strong women in all aspects...physically, intellectually and financially. None of that weaker sex for me...
    O.k then going by your statement above.

You wouldn't want to marry 'beneath' you but what if she was your 'superior' in the sense that she is more intelligent than you, Wealthier than you etc?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    O.k then going by your statement above.

You wouldn't want to marry 'beneath' you but what if she was your 'superior' in the sense that she is more intelligent than you, Wealthier than you etc?
    I wouldn't care and if she had a problem with it, I would understand. I don't get offended that way... I have comfortable enough in my skin to brush all that stuff. I would never even attempt the slightest to change who I am nor would I expect someone else to do it. The blocks fit or they don't...end of story.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast