Like Tree104Likes

Compare England and Hong Kong

Reply
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
  1. #101

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,493
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Not everyone who voted for the republican candidate voted for this rhetoric.
    Yes they did, you can't vote two ways. If you mean that they don't all necessarily support every policy then it's more accurate but if it's important enough and you are against then you don't vote for the guy. So, they are either for it , tacitly support it or don't care enough. In any case, it's certainly not a small minority.

  2. #102

    I think the concept of having a foreign female dh working in homes are not favoured in western countries. With most of the objection from the wives of couples in western countries.

    HK doesn't really have a choice many women have to work instead of being housewives.

    Quote Originally Posted by AmRa6:
    I think one of the biggest advantages of Hong Kong that has only been mentioned in passing is having a domestic helper. In addition to help around the house, having fresh healthy home cooked food without having to do the marketing, cutting, cooking, and washing up is fantastic. Much better than buying supermarket meals or take-aways on work days.

  3. #103

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    23,326

    Hong Kong female labour participation rate is more than 15% lower than the UK. So that argument doesn't cut much ice.

    HK doesn't bother to provide alternative child care options when they can exploit cheap labour from SE Asia. That's the truth of the situation.

    drumbrake likes this.

  4. #104

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    22,246
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Hong Kong female labour participation rate is more than 15% lower than the UK. So that argument doesn't cut much ice.

    HK doesn't bother to provide alternative child care options or care homes for seniors when they can exploit cheap labour from SE Asia. That's the truth of the situation.
    Fixed it for you
    TheBrit likes this.

  5. #105

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,493

    Not a HK thing, common throughout Asia. In many countries, they don't need to import the workers but in richer countries like HK and Sg, they do... Not to mention the Middle East where conditions tend to be even worse.


  6. #106

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    27,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    Not a HK thing, common throughout Asia. In many countries, they don't need to import the workers but in richer countries like HK and Sg, they do... Not to mention the Middle East where conditions tend to be even worse.
    Just a reminder this thread is a comparison between England and Hong Kong.

  7. #107

    Nowadays many wealthy families in Mainland china envy hk and countries with foreign dh, because they like live in foreign helpers that can work and also teach english. They like having more chances to use english for both the adults and children in families. Mainland Chinese are willing to pay more than typical HK salary to the DH.

    The above is just one of the many other reasons why foreign dh are hired in addition to the reason women being busy with work in Asia.

    Even without dh , hk people still enjoy cheaper imports from developing countries in southeast asia and mainland china. The UK cannot due to not being close to developing countries. And Southeast Asia is cheaper than most of eastern europe.


  8. #108

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,493

    I imagine that if the UK allowed slavery like conditions with low pay, poor working conditions and easy access to labor, many would likely jump at the opportunity to have their personal slaves though it's less ingrained than in Asia.


  9. #109

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    27,356
    Quote Originally Posted by lighthse003:
    Nowadays many wealthy families in Mainland china envy hk and countries with foreign dh, because they like live in foreign helpers that can work and also teach english. They like having more chances to use english for both the adults and children in families. Mainland Chinese are willing to pay more than typical HK salary to the DH.

    The above is just one of the many other reasons why foreign dh are hired in addition to the reason women being busy with work in Asia.

    Even without dh , hk people still enjoy cheaper imports from developing countries in southeast asia and mainland china. The UK cannot due to not being close to developing countries. And Southeast Asia is cheaper than most of eastern europe.
    You can come up with all the reasons you like but it comes down to:

    - in the UK they would be entitled to a decent minimum wage and controlled hours so no working 16 hours a day for very little

    - in the UK there are plenty of alternatives in terms of child care for working mothers (and most mothers work)
    East_coast likes this.

  10. #110

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    23,326
    Quote Originally Posted by lighthse003:
    Nowadays many wealthy families in Mainland china envy hk and countries with foreign dh, because they like live in foreign helpers that can work and also teach english. They like having more chances to use english for both the adults and children in families. Mainland Chinese are willing to pay more than typical HK salary to the DH.

    The above is just one of the many other reasons why foreign dh are hired in addition to the reason women being busy with work in Asia.

    Even without dh , hk people still enjoy cheaper imports from developing countries in southeast asia and mainland china. The UK cannot due to not being close to developing countries. And Southeast Asia is cheaper than most of eastern europe.
    Changing your story nicely when the facts don't fit your previous assertions.

Reply
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast