Like Tree104Likes

Compare England and Hong Kong

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

I miss England for its TV, slower pace and space. I enjoy HK for its efficiency (public transport), high work ethics and lack of crime.

You can say what you like about their salary and hours - the foreign dhs in HK send a huge amount of hard cash back to their home countries which goes straight to education and development.

In the UK we hand the cash over wholesale to African dictators, and it reappears as ferraris and bloated house prices in Mayfair.

Not sure that we have the better solution here.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    You can say what you like about their salary and hours - the foreign dhs in HK send a huge amount of hard cash back to their home countries which goes straight to education and development.

In the UK we hand the cash over wholesale to African dictators, and it reappears as ferraris and bloated house prices in Mayfair.

Not sure that we have the better solution here.
    Yeah, bloated house prices are a much bigger problem in the UK than Hong Kong

Hong Kong exploits cheap foreign labour to do jobs HK'ers won't. It doesn't exploit them as much as Singapore or the Middle East but it exploits them far more than most countries.

No-one is forced to get on a plane and fly over here to work.

If cheaper full time mid-week child-care enabled lower income women in the UK to go to work (and they want to), fdhs in the UK could be win-win. I know several who would.

If cheaper full time mid-week child-care enabled lower income women in the UK to go to work (and they want to), fdhs in the UK could be win-win. I know several who would.
    No, but it would be nice if the Government created an environment that produces a fair and respected work environment for all people in Hong Kong.

Funny that some think FOW/DH gonna teach anyone to speak better English (than eg School).... A nanny might but they’re a completely different price bracket.

I guess you've never been to Indonesia or the Philippines then.
    Last edited by TheBrit; 04-03-2019 at 10:42 PM.

They are not forced at gunpoint but between starving and modern slavery, they choose the latter... Just like they can complain about being mistreated and as a reward, they go right back to poverty, don't pass go, don't collect 200$. Mind you, the HK government didn't invent the system, the colonial powers were very happy to leave labor laws at home and exploit local workers around the world and line their pockets nicely along the way.

Funny that some think FOW/DH gonna teach anyone to speak better English (than eg School).... A nanny might but they’re a completely different price bracket.

They are not forced at gunpoint but between starving and modern slavery, they choose the latter...
    This is exactly the point - fdh labour is pulling millions of families out of starvation poverty.

Yes it would be wonderful if they could all have well paid jobs running pet hotels or training o.a.p.s to use word processors instead, but that isn't how the global economy works.
    chuckster007 likes this.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast