Like Tree104Likes

Compare England and Hong Kong

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    It's not just rain. The UK is gray, cloudy and overcast most of the time. On the non-rainy days in HK the sun shines. Lived in London for years and the lack of sunlight really wears you down after awhile.
    Also, in HK it can often be sunny and then rain for about an hour and return to beinbg sunny again. In UK, it sometimes just drizzles for the entire day.

Quote Originally Posted by si0001:
    Also, in HK it can often be sunny and then rain for about an hour and return to beinbg sunny again. In UK, it sometimes just drizzles for the entire day.
    Except the statistics don't back this up really. HK gets about 10% more sunshine hours than London.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Except the statistics don't back this up really. HK gets about 10% more sunshine hours than London.
    My claim was purely anecdotal having lived in both places for lengthy periods of time. I did spend a significant amount of time in Scotland so that has likely skewed my perceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    203 hours in total. That's an extra 50 four-hour sunny periods per year. That sounds quite nice and backs up si00001 claim that you do get more sunny periods. It's not an insignificant amount.
    Kowloon Goon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    203 hours in total. That's an extra 50 four-hour sunny periods per year. That sounds quite nice and backs up si00001 claim that you do get more sunny periods. It's not an insignificant amount.
    Less than an hour a day. Throw in the pollution blocking it out, and the crushing humidity that is pervasive for months on end and HK's sunshine isn't that great IMHO.
    SpeakCantonese and MerMer like this.

I enjoy wearing t-shirts & jeans most of the year, shopping on a Sunday, having a domestic helper, low tax, good & cheap public transportation system, but I also enjoy pubs, pubs, tap beer, cheap beer, the English language, snow-globe villages & parks, and, most of all, a DIY culture.

You want to make some money, or want to build your own ceiling?

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    It's not just rain. The UK is gray, cloudy and overcast most of the time. On the non-rainy days in HK the sun shines. Lived in London for years and the lack of sunlight really wears you down after awhile.
    Fair comment... and the lack of daylight hours in winter...

Quote Originally Posted by si0001:
    Absolutely, most "chinese food" in the UK isn't really chinese food. In most of the cities with a significant chinese community, there are a few restaurants that cater to chinese people and the rest are mostly westernised.
    Doesn't change anything... I prefer westernised Chinese food... actually, let me be specific: Hong Kong food is garbage... I liked Beijing...

To add, I'm sure there are many fine dining options in HK... I'm talking about normal day to day options with family...
    Last edited by SpeakCantonese; 05-10-2018 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakCantonese:
    Fair comment... and the lack of daylight hours in winter...
    I think it is the short winter days, and the days without sun in the winter, that cloud (pun not intended) people's memories.
    SpeakCantonese likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakCantonese:
    Doesn't change anything... I prefer westernised Chinese food
    Fair enough that you prefer it but it would be the equivalent of saying Hong Kong has better italian food that Italy because I like HK style pasta drowned in tomato sauce (I don't).

Whilst yes it would be my opinion and I'm well within my rights to express it, it is still clearly a ridiculous statement.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast