Like Tree104Likes

Compare England and Hong Kong

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakCantonese:
    The average amount of rainy days in Hong Kong is 137.
    The average amount of rainy days in England is 156.

Humidity seldom gets above 90% or below 70% in England...

How often did you need a/c or a de-humidifier to protect your books and clothes in England? Personally, I much prefer getting warm in front of a fire than cooling off with a/c.

I'm a mountain biker and I find it frustrating in the summer as it is often too hot/uncomfortable for me to ride.

As to food... I didn't say 'English food' is better... I said 'the food' is better in England.

First of all, I think Hong Kong food is generally garbage... I like some dim sum I suppose... but watery soup that looks like mop bucket water? Tripe? Gruel? Chicken's feet? Meat cut so as to maximise bone content? Gristle and tendons and fat? Lungs?

It's subjective, but in my opinion, Hong Kong food is simply rubbish.

If you want great English food, there are many gastropubs that cook proper traditional English fare... One thing I miss is a good Sunday carvery with Yorkshire Pudding... Popping to a cosy pub with real ale, a roaring fire, dogs and Shepherds Pie after a brisk walk on the common.

At home, I usually ate in the Mediterranean style and supermarket shopping made that a breeze. If I was feeling lazy, ready meals, a selection in the 100s.

I would argue that restaurants in England are better. My town had several Indians, Chinese, a Greek, a Spanish, a French, a Noodle bar and many other specialty restaurants... all great food, reasonably priced and great service... not to mention all the usual chains; Pizza Express, Nandos, etc... sans overcrowding, noise and service with a scowl.
    ok, got it.

i think comparing hk vs uk is like comparing apples vs oranges. The only similarity is HK used to be a British colony but that’s not the same anymore after 1997,

Hk is still ver much a Chinese dominated society hence the Asian food is of course much better in HK but western food wise UK beats HK hands down.

Probably irs better to compare hk vs Singapore.
    Uk VS France or US.

Doesn't change anything... I prefer westernised Chinese food... actually, let me be specific: Hong Kong food is garbage... I liked Beijing...

To add, I'm sure there are many fine dining options in HK... I'm talking about normal day to day options with family...
    depends where you go, there are decent normal priced food as well as the not so great mediocre stuff, it's like stating that UK food is like greasy spoon cafe with dried up beans and sauages like what you get in a lot of inner city cafes, but once you stratch the surface and dig a bit deeper, you find there are much more places than these greasy spoon cafes

Doesn't change anything... I prefer westernised Chinese food... actually, let me be specific: Hong Kong food is garbage... I liked Beijing...

To add, I'm sure there are many fine dining options in HK... I'm talking about normal day to day options with family...
    also just like some 'westernised' chinese takeaway may have 'radioactive' fluorescent red sweet and sour sauce and fried hard 'like hell' sweet and sour chicken balls that they can actually crack windows if throw.

chinese HK food here is like that, like takeaway chinese in UK, you have some dodgy ones and you have also some really decent ones as well

Hong Kong's leader is hot, England's just so-so.

Last edited by civil_servant; 05-10-2018 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by si0001:
    Fair enough that you prefer it but it would be the equivalent of saying Hong Kong has better italian food that Italy because I like HK style pasta drowned in tomato sauce (I don't).

Whilst yes it would be my opinion and I'm well within my rights to express it, it is still clearly a ridiculous statement.
    What is wrong with people? I didn't say Chinese food is better in England, I said food is better in England... and that I prefer westernised Chinese food.

Don't get triggered.
    Skyhook likes this.

What is wrong with people? I didn't say Chinese food is better in England, I said food is better in England... and that I prefer westernised Chinese food.

Don't get triggered.
    This is literally what you said:

England wins on food, including Chinese food.

This is of course all totally subjective and depends on many factors which can vary over time depending on the experiences that day. Should be treated as an enjoyable fun discussion, not a heated debate.

SpeakCantonese and Skyhook like this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Hong Kong's leader is hot, England's just so-so.
    Please make an appointment asap.

亮視點
    East_coast and Michael Tsang like this.

i bet every here agree with one thing, Greggs is awesome, they could be UK biggest food export (IMO), shame, nothing like it in HK

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    i bet every here agree with one thing, Greggs is awesome, they could be UK biggest food export (IMO), shame, nothing like it in HK
    I have a big craving for sausage rolls
    imparanoic likes this.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast