Like Tree104Likes

Compare England and Hong Kong

Reply
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
  1. #51

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sai Kung
    Posts
    4,041
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I have a big craving for sausage rolls
    In which case you really need to get to Mushroom bakery in Sai Kung. I guarantee it is the nearest you will get to a British sausage roll and bread and other things for that matter (sometimes scotch eggs)

    I know a lot of you don’t like the real HK and get nervous north or east of Mong Kok so
    I am prepared to be held to this - I’m travelling until 20th Oct but if someone reminds me after that I will buy up the tray (usually around 20) and bring them into Central/Admiralty for a lunchtime meat. I’ll buy the sausage rolls. Someone can buy me a beer.
    imparanoic and Drunken Master like this.

  2. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    Please make an appointment asap.

    亮視點
    Oh sorry, I didn't know you have the hots for Theresa. To each his own I guess.

  3. #53

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    27,356
    Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    In which case you really need to get to Mushroom bakery in Sai Kung. I guarantee it is the nearest you will get to a British sausage roll and bread and other things for that matter (sometimes scotch eggs)

    I know a lot of you don’t like the real HK and get nervous north or east of Mong Kok so
    I am prepared to be held to this - I’m travelling until 20th Oct but if someone reminds me after that I will buy up the tray (usually around 20) and bring them into Central/Admiralty for a lunchtime meat. I’ll buy the sausage rolls. Someone can buy me a beer.
    Unfortunately I live in the Philippines so too far to travel even for a sausage roll. Given that I am currently on bed rest following a heart attack or six and a spell in intensive care, probably just as well.

  4. #54

    Are any of you thinking of going back before you retire to qualify for the UK pension?

    Or is it not worth it being as you need a certain amount of contribution to your National Insurance?

    I have two kids (3 and 1 years old) and thinking to go back to the UK for their education but not sure how long to stay for. I currently have an apartment paid for but considering just selling it and buying a place in the UK instead.


  5. #55

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    薄扶林
    Posts
    43,329
    Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    I’m travelling until 20th Oct but if someone reminds me after that I will buy up the tray (usually around 20) and bring them into Central/Admiralty for a lunchtime meat. I’ll buy the sausage rolls. Someone can buy me a beer.
    Sounds like a plan!

  6. #56

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New Territories West
    Posts
    1,360
    Quote Originally Posted by si0001:
    This is literally what you said:
    Right... well now I've re-read it, I have to agree with me. In fact, I'm going to double down... westernised Chinese food is better than Chinese food. They improved it a lot.

    You have to understand, gruel, gristle and all that slop is what poor people ate in Europe decades ago.

    And I'm not saying Chinese food in England is healthy... it just tasted better, is better quality and the service is better.

    And it's SUBJECTIVE! lol
    MerMer likes this.

  7. #57

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sai Kung
    Posts
    4,041
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Unfortunately I live in the Philippines so too far to travel even for a sausage roll. Given that I am currently on bed rest following a heart attack or six and a spell in intensive care, probably just as well.
    Well that puts things in perspective! Recover well. If you’re in Palawan or Manila I could make an appointment for next CNY [emoji1]

  8. #58

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    27,356
    Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    Well that puts things in perspective! Recover well. If you’re in Palawan or Manila I could make an appointment for next CNY [emoji1]
    No, Pampanga. There would be a long list of items don't worry!

  9. #59

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    141

    This whole thread just shows that , wherever you are in the world the British will whinge.
    I have been here 41 years and when I go back to UK it strikes me that that is the main difference...the whinging.It's too hot, it's too cold, wet, humid, noisy, expensive, far ,crowded ,quiet, foods awful, people are rude, schools are terrible, whinge on!!!
    It seems that local people are not whingers but they accept the situation and deal with it. This is one of the main reasons I am still here. .
    I find local food good in some places and British food too.
    I do not understand why people continue to live here if they hate so many aspects so much..
    In my opinion, the place is great for me. think of the pluses
    Safety, transport, food people .If you meet the people here halfway you will be OK.
    If I want a hit of good Brit food ,I save up and treat myself. (And M and S sausage rolls are OK.)


  10. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by ren32:
    This whole thread just shows that , wherever you are in the world the British will whinge.
    I have been here 41 years and when I go back to UK it strikes me that that is the main difference...the whinging.It's too hot, it's too cold, wet, humid, noisy, expensive, far ,crowded ,quiet, foods awful, people are rude, schools are terrible, whinge on!!!
    It seems that local people are not whingers but they accept the situation and deal with it. This is one of the main reasons I am still here. .
    I find local food good in some places and British food too.
    I do not understand why people continue to live here if they hate so many aspects so much..
    In my opinion, the place is great for me. think of the pluses
    Safety, transport, food people .If you meet the people here halfway you will be OK.
    While I agree that there are a number of expats that whinge just for the sake of it, I don't think anyone here is particularly whinging, simply debating the pros and cons of both places.
    z754103 likes this.

Reply
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast