Reply
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7
Like Tree36Likes

Possible opportunity for move to HK

  1. #61

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Revan
    Hi Fiona

    Interesting. Our eldest will only be starting school in 2020, but what you say does raise a frisson or two of doubt.

    How normal is it for companies to support debentures?
    You do not need to worry if your child is under 4 years old right now.

    It's a very different story coming in at an older age than applying to join at the main entry point.

    I know quite a few people whose children have French passports and not a single one was rejected for a place at FIS (although this includes French stream) joining at age 4.

    As for Fiona's case I have a feeling had the family crossed their fingers and waited a space would have opened up by September regardless of lack of debenture.

  2. #62

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    654

    10 to 15 minutes is a long commute in Hong Kong, and many HK people don't like driving by themselves.


  3. #63

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    θ–„ζ‰Άζž—
    Posts
    24,561

    @lighthse003 - now thats a new one.

    Are you saying that the people who get on the MTR / busses every morning and evening have < 10-15 min commutes? Or are you saying that everyone in HK has super-duper-long commutes of 30-45 mins?

    I tend to think that 30-45 mins to get to anywhere is ok - Wong Chuk Hang to Kennedy Town or Central takes me 30-45.

    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

  4. #64

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    17,531
    Quote Originally Posted by lighthse003
    10 to 15 minutes is a long commute in Hong Kong
    No it isn't.
    MerMer likes this.

  5. #65

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    920

    I lived in Wan Chai and worked in Central Plaza- just the walk and wait for the elevators was at least 20 minutes and I figured I had a pretty sweet commute back then...


  6. #66

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DB
    Posts
    3,574
    Quote Originally Posted by merchantms

    As for Fiona's case I have a feeling had the family crossed their fingers and waited a space would have opened up by September regardless of lack of debenture.
    Maybe yes, maybe no. But no one is going to relocate their entire family to Hong Kong on crossed fingers and we couldn't give a promise. She also didn't want to have her child out of school for that long. Home-schooling was the only alternative suggested, apparently there are a few French families doing that while they wait.

    We're lucky we had a spare debenture available, though it did have to be topped up by x 3 to reactivate it
    TheBrit likes this.

  7. #67

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG
    Maybe yes, maybe no. But no one is going to relocate their entire family to Hong Kong on crossed fingers and we couldn't give a promise. She also didn't want to have her child out of school for that long. Home-schooling was the only alternative suggested, apparently there are a few French families doing that while they wait.

    We're lucky we had a spare debenture available, though it did have to be topped up by x 3 to reactivate it
    Oh I don't blame the family or your firm for going the debenture route. I just wanted to make clear that someone coming in at Reception year (or whatever the equivalent in the French stream) with a French passport does not need a corporate debenture to get in. I don't want OP to panic.

    I should mention though that FIS international stream is selective so you might get an interview but getting a place is based on your child's "performance" - welcome to Hong Kong
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

  8. #68

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Kowloon
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by lighthse003
    10 to 15 minutes is a long commute in Hong Kong, and many HK people don't like driving by themselves.
    What nonsense.

  9. #69

    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    18

    I commute 1hr 35mins each way at the moment in UK and that's a good day!


  10. #70

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,479
    Quote Originally Posted by lighthse003
    10 to 15 minutes is a long commute in Hong Kong, and many HK people don't like driving by themselves.
    How ridiculous. Many people will spend that much time just riding the elevator leaving their building and going to their office and most HK people don't drive, they take public transport.

Reply
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7