Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By suepertrooper
  • 4 Post By Cwbguy

Large bathrooms..... why??

Closed Thread

Large bathrooms..... why??

We're relocating to HK soon, and have been apartment hunting. This is just a random question out of immense curiosity...... probably for the locals/seasoned expats to answer.

The size of HK apartments is so small, but the bathrooms are large, and even have bathtubs. I'm pretty sure the bathrooms are the same size (or even larger) than the bedrooms.

Does anyone know why!?!

Another question you will be asking is why are the bathrooms so shite compared to the price of the flats.

Plenty of multi million us$ flats out here with bathrooms straight out of public toilet territory.

This is what we had in our now hk$23M flat:-

Name:  P4130033.JPG
Views: 425
Size:  50.8 KB

not the height of luxury.

P.S. The kitchens can be shite as well!

I saw loads of flats 700-900 sq ft range that had two bathrooms each with a bathtub. Makes absolutely no sense.

try bathing an infant in a shower

I must be really bored out of my mind today, to look this up:

https://www.legco.gov.hk/yr99-00/eng...n3.pdf?noembed

This is what drives the number of bathrooms:

BD adopts a general guide of 9m2 usable floor area per person in
    assessing the likely number of persons and population density within a domestic
    building. This basis of calculation is used to determine the required number of
    watercloset fitments, lavatory basins, and baths or showers to be provided in
    domestic buildings. This guide is also used to assess the provision of means of
    escape in case of fire.
    730sq ft and above should have 2 bathrooms / wcs or whatever, as they can house 8+ people.

Not motivated enough to find out why baths and not showers.
    jgl, suepertrooper, Cwbguy and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    I saw loads of flats 700-900 sq ft range that had two bathrooms each with a bathtub. Makes absolutely no sense.
    EXACTLY. We just signed the lease for a 650 sqf (usable), which has two bathrooms, each with a tub.
    We couldn't find any apartment to our liking that had bigger rooms/kitchen, so we gave up. Maybe I can use one of the tubs as a storeroom.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    In Singapore, we buy infant tubs for bathing them. Not a problem..
    shri likes this.

If you don't want bathrooms on the "larger" side of things, Hong Kong has plenty of apartments with tiny bathrooms for you.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    Totally agree but one tub is enough.

We've got a big bathroom with a tub and shower. It's fantastic and the best bathroom we ever had! Bathrooms on holidays are never as good as ours. Love having this space.

I use the tub for the cat litter boxes, which works fantastically well to keep everything tidy. But the odd times we want to take a bath, we can.

It's one of the very few things I'd praise about.

Previous shoebox apartment had annoying small bathroom (with a tub squished in). The close proximity of everything was convenient for all the times you got sick...