Like Tree4Likes

Domestic helper - start date

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

One of my ex helper who existing employer relocated so she found a job with the neighbors, she stayed with them and worked in the new house while her new visa was being processed, due to the new employers forgetting some documents and being out of town, her new visa was delayed, she had to go to immigration 2 times for her own visa extensions, immigration dept knew she was staying in the new employers house and anyone can figure out that she is already working there but they didnt bat an eyelid.

Its really up to you and your risk levels.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    If you have a jealous neighbor, this could turn into a mess. Just make her wait at the boarding house. Don't impose unnecessary risk and burden to your family.
    We often had Filipinas staying at our place and no neighbours ever reported us! For there to be a "mess" first the neighbour has to give a shit, second they have to know or suspect the employment situation, third immigration have to care that she is totally legally staying in the apartment.

So I would let her stay in your apartment. However if you want to put her in a boarding house then the one I went into was fine. Very crowded, lots of bunk beds, but clean.

To me the issue is less the neighbors. This is a new helper you have no legal relationship with yet. If her visa is rejected for some reason or another issue comes to light, do you want to be responsible for removing her from her home and potentially having to explain why she was there in the first place?

It’s cleaner and safer for you to pay her boarding house.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    To me the issue is less the neighbors. This is a new helper you have no legal relationship with yet. If her visa is rejected for some reason or another issue comes to light, do you want to be responsible for removing her from her home and potentially having to explain why she was there in the first place?

It’s cleaner and safer for you to pay her boarding house.
    What's to explain? "She had nowhere to stay whilst legally waiting for her visa, so I put her up for a couple of weeks."

What's the illegality here, how is it different from hosting someone from couchsurfing.com? Which I realise that many people wouldn't do in the first place either, but the plan is for this person to be living there full time anyway.
    pin and TheBrit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    What's to explain? "She had nowhere to stay whilst legally waiting for her visa, so I put her up for a couple of weeks."

What's the illegality here, how is it different from hosting someone from couchsurfing.com? Which I realise that many people wouldn't do in the first place either, but the plan is for this person to be living there full time anyway.
    If things go south she can claim you forced her to work illegally before she had a valid visa.

Original Post Deleted
    OK. If anyone wants a non-contracted non-employed helper without a work visa living in their home for a few weeks, then go ahead.

The safest way from a legal perspective is to pay for her to stay somewhere clean and safe and let her enjoy a bit of time off before she's required to live with you for the next 2 years. It will be very hard to prove she was illegally working for you if your building security says she wasn't coming in and out daily, etc.

I don't see how the chance to stay out is in any way a hardship, in fact don't many people around here lament how unfair the live-in rule is.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    OK. If anyone wants a non-contracted non-employed helper without a work visa living in their home for a few weeks, then go ahead.

The safest way from a legal perspective is to pay for her to stay somewhere clean and safe and let her enjoy a bit of time off before she's required to live with you for the next 2 years. It will be very hard to prove she was illegally working for you if your building security says she wasn't coming in and out daily, etc.

I don't see how the chance to stay out is in any way a hardship, in fact don't many people around here lament how unfair the live-in rule is.
    I think you are overthinking this.
    TheBrit likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    It is legal for them to stay with you. It is illegal for them to work for you or anyone else until the visa is approved.

Original Post Deleted
    So you’re saying that I’m wrong to suggest paying aunty to stay out for 2 weeks is a tidier way to manage this visa free period. Ok. Just arguing over nothing then. Moving on.