Like Tree4Likes

Domestic helper - start date

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Domestic helper - start date

Hello!

We have hired a domestic helper whose previous employer relocated to Australia. For that reason, she was allowed to apply for a new visa (sponsored by me) without having to leave Hong Kong.

The final interview with immigration isn't until mid-January. However, her employers have already left, and she is now homeless. She asked to stay with us and start early, but I'm afraid that is against the law.

Can she start with us before the final interview? If not, can I pay for her to stay somewhere else for the next couple of weeks?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

She should be able to find a boarding house and stay there. Costs are very reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    She should be able to find a boarding house and stay there. Costs are very reasonable.
    I've looked at some boarding houses and they seem pretty rough, so I'd prefer that she'd stay with us. Is it illegal? Even if she doesn't work?

Simply staying should not be illegal. Working and getting paid for that is.

She can live with you, but she's not allowed to work until her visa comes through.

If you have a jealous neighbor, this could turn into a mess. Just make her wait at the boarding house. Don't impose unnecessary risk and burden to your family.

It's not legal for her to work for you until the visa is processed. I wouldn't have her live with you in the interim either - you currently have no legal relationship, why open yourself to any suspicion or issues? Pay for her boarding house while she waits, they are not very expensive.

Our current helper stayed with us prior employment. She said the boarding house was terrible- bunk beds with two people per mattress sleeping head to foot.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Our current helper stayed with us prior employment. She said the boarding house was terrible- bunk beds with two people per mattress sleeping head to foot.
    They're not all like that...was she paying out of her own pocket or did you subsidize it for her?
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    They're not all like that...was she paying out of her own pocket or did you subsidize it for her?
    I'm sure some are better than others. But this one was pretty shit, she pointed it out to me and it was on the first floor of a building above a major bus stop on a busy road, with the windows blacked out.

I didn't subsidise it because she stopped staying there as soon as the matter came up.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast