Like Tree12Likes

What's a reasonable relocation package for a single person, esp housing?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant
    No need to live on Hong Kong Island. There are loads of other options.

If you can state where you'll be working then people can provide you with other convenient options.
    Sheung Wan.
    civil_servant likes this.

Have you discussed with your employer regarding their sponsorship for getting you a working visa for HK? Apologies if I missed it in the thread, if it's already mentioned.

East_coast and Shiojiri Hiro like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG
    Have you discussed with your employer regarding their sponsorship for getting you a working visa for HK? Apologies if I missed it in the thread, if it's already mentioned.
    If it is a start-up perhaps burning a few bridges at home would not be a bad thing. It will focus the mind!!!

Get the company to put your stuff in storage for a couple of years and pay a housing allowance of say $15K. You don't need to live on the island even though there is some 'cool' factor of living there.

Agree with FionainHKG - the HK visa sponsorship is important and can take a while if this is the first time the company is sponsoring a visa. For you, the tax piece is important - if you're maintaining your flatshare, that will give you an additional 'tie' to the UK. Frequent trips back to the UK will also mean you spend more days there, meaning your UK tax residence is going to need looking into. If you dont break UK tax residence it will be an issue. Given you work at a start-up, would also suggest you get some advice as to the tax implications when the company IPOs or is sold on, particularly as to the CGT implications.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    From the startup founder's perspective, they need to be as lean as possible

Think about what you're giving up and think about the risks and rewards of working for a startup and make your decision.
    You're not wrong. The CEO is a personal friend and had equity in my failed startup. He also offered me this job when mine bit the dust. I remain hugely loyal and have no interest in trying to exploit them. That said, some startups are better funded than others.

The context, however, is that the CEO has asked me to find out what would be considered the reasonable/fair/market offering, given that he wants to get me to move to HK (we have offices in London and HK). And I'm prepared to do that, but I don't want to live in a box.

This is why in my comments above I always ask what the minimum would be would be for a single person being asked to relocate to HK.
    Last edited by KiwiBrit68; 13-02-2019 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau
    Yes, what Shri said- especially if you have any kind of equity position- stock options and the like. I worked for relatively low pay at a start up but it paid off at the IPO...

15k housing allowance is fair and if you want more can pay 5k out of your own pocket. I work in Sheung Wan and come from Peng Chau where I have a great flat for 13k (almost 500 square foot, rooftop, awesome view). So up to you whether to live near work or take a ferry (a relaxing commute). Mui Wo is doable as is Lamma, DB, Cheung Chau, etc. I usually take a bus from the ferry in the morning, walk back to the pier at night. Sometimes walk both ways, about 20 minutes.

Regarding medical- insurance is not that expensive in HK so I don't think the company would have a problem with that.
    Thanks - this is awesome and exactly what I need.

NB: I don't have equity.
    Last edited by KiwiBrit68; 13-02-2019 at 05:10 PM.

Not in detail yet. They don't foresee any issues. Is there something you think could be a problem?

Office in Sheung Wan - I would stay towards island West like a few stop on the MTR (underground), you can also take a nice slow TRAM.

Housing Allowance - 15K, add a few K and you can find a 1-2 bedroom up to 300-400 sq/ft along that line towards Sai yin Pun / Kennedy Town.

Regarding housing allowance, be aware that a fair number of people don't get housing allowances- I have worked in Asia for over 10 years and never had a housing allowance. Which is why 15k is fair (so that your combined salary and housing allowance is a fair amount).

What I have found is that if the flat has a good layout with all usable space, i don't miss the extra square footage- I moved from about 1100 square feet in my last move from the US to about 500 square feet and it feels about the same to me. I guess I don't really have a dining room but then I never used mine in my apartment in the US. Didn't use most of my large kitchen either.

They have built a bunch of new flats on my island (not a popular destination, we have no motorized traffic and it's small)- I don't live there, I have a better view) but they are newish and brand new (Paloma Bay, Treasure Cove) and under 20k. Here is an example.

https://www.28hse.com/en/rent-property-420918.html

That said, many people advise living closer to work and bars...I am older so I don't care...ferries are highly reliable, never late, only shut down in the rare large typhoon when you won't go to work anyway.

Plenty of interesting neighborhoods in Sheung Wan, Sai Ying Pun, and Kennedy Town.

shri likes this.

Thanks all. It's been very helpful!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast