Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MandM!
  • 1 Post By MandM!

How to register a company in Hong Kong

How to register a company in Hong Kong

Hi,

I am looking at registering a company in Hong Kong under the Private Limited structure.
    I have some questions and would be grateful if you have prior experience to share..

1. How to check if the company name is available? I tried to find the website.
    2. The company registration is a one time effort and the business registration is yearly renewal. Is this CORRECT understanding?
    3. How do I check if my business requires a special permit / license?
    4. In registering a company, I believe an address is required. Is there any recommended service that takes care of accounting + address? This is because in Singapore where I registered our company, we use an accounting service that does both the bookkeeping while providing us a commercial address. Is this the way in Hong Kong as well and if yes, what are the drawbacks if any? Would it be more feasible to just pay for an address and do the accounting on my own.

Thanks and hope someone can point me in the right direction.

1 There are many company secretary outfits in HK will set you up with all docs & deal with naming etc
    2 Correct
    3 https://www.gov.hk/en/business/suppo.../licensing.htm
    4 You can use domestic or commercial address - you can also use a service that will provide nominees , accounting & more etc if you wish (optional)

1. http://cr.gov.hk
    2. Yearly or 3 year BR
    3. What industry are you in?
    4. Yes plus a local agent. If you have a friend here you can use their name and ID card. They would have to sign to be the company secretary. Alternatively you can hire a company for about HK$2000 per year to do it. I'm sure they would let you use their address too. Auditors might also offer this service as you will need a yearly audit as well. (can skip the first partial year and have the first audit within 18 months of opening I believe)

Yuhikaru likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!
    1. http://cr.gov.hk
    2. Yearly or 3 year BR
    3. What industry are you in?
    4. Yes plus a local agent. If you have a friend here you can use their name and ID card. They would have to sign to be the company secretary. Alternatively you can hire a company for about HK$2000 per year to do it. I'm sure they would let you use their address too. Auditors might also offer this service as you will need a yearly audit as well. (can skip the first partial year and have the first audit within 18 months of opening I believe)

First of all, thanks a lot for the comments/advice. In response to your questions..

2. Just to confirm Company Registration is ONE-Time and BR can either be yearly or 3 year, right?

3. I am in Medical Consulting but non-clinical. In other words, providing an alternative opinion to customers for healthcare related issues.

4. Any agent/auditor to recommend? Small startup and we don't need very premium services but want to ensure the books are in order and taxes/audit are proper.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuhikaru
    First of all, thanks a lot for the comments/advice. In response to your questions..

2. Just to confirm Company Registration is ONE-Time and BR can either be yearly or 3 year, right?

3. I am in Medical Consulting but non-clinical. In other words, providing an alternative opinion to customers for healthcare related issues.

4. Any agent/auditor to recommend? Small startup and we don't need very premium services but want to ensure the books are in order and taxes/audit are proper.
    2. Yes. Register a limited company, pay the BR by 1 year or 3 year. Sometimes there is a discount or rebate (watch for the HK annual finance report on what offerings are given to the people and businesses, they will refund you if you overpaid). Also you need the annual audit unless you have a loss then I believe the audit changes to every 3 years. The audit will be more costly depending who you hire. hk$2-10k has been quoted.

3. Not sure about this.

4. Google them. There are thousands. Just look for company secretary. Mention that you need a company secretary and you will register the company at their address.
    Yuhikaru likes this.