Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7
Like Tree46Likes

Death of Filipino helper in Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    But if you quit would you have two weeks to get out of the country?

How anyone could sit there eating while the helper stood watching is beyond me.
    I would wonder why the helper was not eating at the same time. It could be because researchers from CUHK and other academics have found that many helpers are not given enough to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    But if you quit would you have two weeks to get out of the country?

How anyone could sit there eating while the helper stood watching is beyond me.
    If I was here on a working visa, I would have to leave when that expires. Whether domestic helpers should have longer is a different debate, though personally I think 2 weeks is too short.

I just don't think that the situation described is particularly extreme or wrong. The lady could be best described as a jerk, but i think those families who have domestic helpers eat separate from the family at home are just as bad.

As for eating with the helper watching, again this is just jerkish behaviour. We don't know if looking after this lady was within her responsibilities or not.

I would also never ask a taxi driver to wait a few minutes while I got something from a shop etc. even if I paid him. I think thats socially unacceptable too because even if the driver is willing, it wastes his time and prevents others from getting a taxi.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy
    If I was here on a working visa, I would have to leave when that expires. Whether domestic helpers should have longer is a different debate, though personally I think 2 weeks is too short.

I just don't think that the situation described is particularly extreme or wrong. The lady could be best described as a jerk, but i think those families who have domestic helpers eat separate from the family at home are just as bad.

As for eating with the helper watching, again this is just jerkish behaviour. We don't know if looking after this lady was within her responsibilities or not.

I would also never ask a taxi driver to wait a few minutes while I got something from a shop etc. even if I paid him. I think thats socially unacceptable too because even if the driver is willing, it wastes his time and prevents others from getting a taxi.
    As you say if you were here on a working visa you would have to leave when it expired. So why not the same for helpers on their visas? Why only two weeks?

Not sure what you are arguing on the eating. You say the employer is a jerk, agreed.

If the helper cooks the food at home then is not allowed to eat any (which happens),I hope she spits in it (which also happens).

Quote Originally Posted by The Celt
    I am working on it, and If you are serious I can count you in. I posted the article.
    I’m out of country until early June. Message me with any thoughts!

Another helper dead in Kuwait. Urgent talks going on and could be a ban reimposed.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7