Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Death of Filipino helper in Hong Kong

Death of Filipino helper in Hong Kong

Here is another sad story about how some domestic workers are treated.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ould-have-been

Another shocking story. Providing enough food and allowing time off for medical care shouldn't be beyond the means of any employer in HK.

And nothing will happen because helpers are sub-human and deserve nothing better.

Kowloon Goon likes this.

The church member also recalled Pepito saying she worked 16 hours a day and sometimes did not have a full day off. She worked in a four-storey high-end property and there was a lot of washing and ironing because the family comprised six adults.
    Some people are so f***ing lazy. 6 adults and they need a helper to work 16 hours a day to maintain the household?! Why can't any of them get off their asses and wash some clothing. Unless there is literally 1 working adult and 5 invalids there is no excuse for this type of behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms
    Some people are so f***ing lazy. 6 adults and they need a helper to work 16 hours a day to maintain the household?! Why can't any of them get off their asses and wash some clothing. Unless there is literally 1 working adult and 5 invalids there is no excuse for this type of behavior.
    Yes but a lot of other female employees have it this tough so I don't know what people are complaining about. (Says MandM)

RIP Maristel Pepito, only 35 years old and gone so early.

Sick to read the below in the article, they treated her worse than some people treat their pets and they worked her to her death but since they consider they didnt do anything wrong so its ok that Maristel Pepito died. They will now find another slave to dump all the work onto. I hope the whole family can get red flagged from hiring another helper but unfortunately I dont see it happening.

The employers are upset probably not because she died, they are probably upset that they lost a slave that wouldnt complain, wouldnt think of breaking her contract so they made her do everything, give her the cheapest food.

Her employers deny any wrongdoing. Contacted by the Post, a representative of the family said police would not have let them go if they had mistreated Pepito while she worked at their Tai Po home.
    Fiona in HKG and The Celt like this.

Just a very sad case. On the FDH contract the employer has to fill in how large the house is and how many people are in the household. Is there some kind of restriction on how many people/size only one helper can take care of before the govt. requires a second helper?

If the employer lied about the size of the house or how many people in the household they should at least be held liable for false declaration and banned from employing another helper.

chuckster007 and Fiona in HKG like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AmRa6
    Just a very sad case. On the FDH contract the employer has to fill in how large the house is and how many people are in the household. Is there some kind of restriction on how many people/size only one helper can take care of before the govt. requires a second helper?

If the employer lied about the size of the house or how many people in the household they should at least be held liable for false declaration and banned from employing another helper.
    What’s interesting is I notice a lot of people judge families who have 2+ helpers but surely if they can afford it better to share the workload.

As for the contract I have heard many cases where helpers are told they’re working for a family of 3 but surprise grandma and grandpa are here all day and also can you wash their car and do their laundry too.

Honestly HK government should have a higher income threshold and more qualifications for approval of FDH if the household doesn’t have children or elderly.
    chuckster007 and qasim106 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms
    What’s interesting is I notice a lot of people judge families who have 2+ helpers but surely if they can afford it better to share the workload..
    Those are usually JEALOUS TWATS

And also what you said about the surprise addition of family members I heard that is common as well since the immigration doesnt do follow up checks its easy to lie about it on the contract, only the strong Helpers will break their contracts immediately, most who have a lot to loose will bare the extra work load in order to not get terminated.

This will not come to an end unless ordinary people make a stand. I am willing to try!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast