Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By chingleutsch
  • 2 Post By huja

Cost of furniture and electrical - HK vs Australia

Cost of furniture and electrical - HK vs Australia

I'll be moving to HK in about 2 months.
    I'm waiting for Visa and I believe I will get assistance moving furniture from Sydney to Hong Kong.

We may need to bring some office furniture (herman miller chairs, computer monitors, books, plus a roomful of books and toys for our son).

I was initially planning to just buy Ikea or other cheap furniture, such as desk, dining table, sofa, etc over in Hong Kong.

But the HK prices seem to be much more expensive than Australia. Does it make sense to buy a bunch of ikea furniture, leave it flat packed, buy new office equipment from Australia and get it shipped?

Eg,
    Dell monitor U2717D 27" - AUD $419, HKD $6299 (~AUD1162 - from Dell)
    Brother MFC Laser print - AUD$395, HKD$2798 ~ AUD$511 (from Fortress).
    Ikea Bekant sit stand desk (electric), AUD$499; HKD$4990 (~AUD$911).

Ikea Billy bookcase AUD$70 , HKD$499 (~AUD92)
    Ikea Malm QS Bed AUD$469, , HKD$2790 (~AUD514)
    Ikea Malm drawers, AUD$199 , HKD$1290 (~AUD238)

The Ikea markup was pretty high, especially on the desk. I thought Australia was a high cost region, but a 80% markup on (some) Ikea seems pretty crazy.

The monitors markup seems really high. Or are there cheaper places to buy furniture, office electronics, etc?

Last edited by jimbo_jones; 16-05-2019 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo_jones
    I'll be moving to HK in about 2 months.
    I'm waiting for Visa and I believe I will get assistance moving furniture from Sydney to Hong Kong.

We may need to bring some office furniture (herman miller chairs, computer monitors, books, plus a roomful of books and toys for our son).

I was initially planning to just buy Ikea or other cheap furniture, such as desk, dining table, sofa, etc over in Hong Kong.

But the HK prices seem to be much more expensive than Australia. Does it make sense to buy a bunch of ikea furniture, leave it flat packed, buy new office equipment from Australia and get it shipped?

Eg,
    Dell monitor U2717D 27" - AUD $419, HKD $6299 (~AUD1162 - from Dell)
    Brother MFC Laser print - AUD$395, HKD$2798 ~ AUD$511 (from Fortress).
    Ikea Bekant sit stand desk (electric), AUD$499; HKD$4990 (~AUD$911).

Ikea Billy bookcase AUD$70 , HKD$499 (~AUD92)
    Ikea Malm QS Bed AUD$469, , HKD$2790 (~AUD514)
    Ikea Malm drawers, AUD$199 , HKD$1290 (~AUD238)

The Ikea markup was pretty high, especially on the desk. I thought Australia was a high cost region, but a 80% markup on (some) Ikea seems pretty crazy.

The monitors markup seems really high. Or are there cheaper places to buy furniture, etc?
    Looking at the first item

https://www.price.com.hk/product.php?p=221859
    it is expensive but you could pick up a similar LG for much less
    https://www.price.com.hk/product.php?p=293816&gp=21

As for the sit /stand desk it looks expensive at AUD$499 given the reviews it gets on the IKEA website 2.1*'s

First question is how much will you be able to afford for rent when you are here? If you are planning to have a home office (with Australian size furniture) as well as family accommodation, the answer needs to be "at least a fair whack." Rents here are eye-watering, even if you come from Vaucluse or Toorak (I'm prepared to bet that rent accounts for most if not all of the price difference you're noticing between Ikea products in the two countries).
    Next question, have you seen how small places are here? If your company is prepared to help with relocation expenses, you probably won't be trying to squeeze into a typical middle class 40m.sq. flat, but I personally would not bring stuff if I were not absolutely certain it would fit in my flat when I got it here.

Lots of cheap and even free second hand furniture available as people either renovate or prepare to move elsewhere - classifieds on this site and local area facebook groups are good places to start.

huja likes this.

My wife and I have moved more than a dozen times. In exactly zero of those moves have we ever thought, "We should have brought more stuff."

Bring your must-haves and then figure out the rest when you arrive. Lots of high-end furniture and small appliances available secondhand with Ex-pats heading home all the time.

Also, you'll get to spend a day at Horizon Plaza in Ap Lei Chau. It's an expat right of passage and you'll get a great leg workout hoofing up and down the stairs (should you decide to bypass the elevators).

East_coast and chingleutsch like this.