Like Tree103Likes

Is giving up a $150k Engineering job in Silicon Valley to move to HK a bad idea?

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    I steam my own food whenver I can. Instead of eating at local places I prefer the chains like Fairwood and CafeDeCoral as I value cleanliness and I trust their supply chain more than I do the local place. I mean is the fried pork chop oversalted because its dated? Who knows. At least with the chains there is some form of quality control in place or they face real scrutiny IMO. Eating out I prefer DinTaiFung and Crystal Jade as well as good clean mall restaurants like Nham Trang. But I must say the Vietnamese food in the Bay Area blows Nham Trang out of the water. Mickey D's, Pizza Hut and BLT Burger all are all acceptable. I focus on cleanliness, quality control and supply chain among other factors.
    Vietnamese food - omg that is no contest. Sigh. Westminister/Santa Ana/etc in SoCal is real good for Vietnamese food too. Why can't HK get the Vietnamese food right? They're so much closer to Vietname too. Oh well. I know what you are talking about for cheap HK food. Some of the food is so salted or sauced but I could still taste the weirdness. Thanks to raising rents and rich landlords.

Crystal Jade is a good choice. In other words, stick to shopping malls lol.
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jack55:
    In other words, stick to shopping malls lol.
    No, don't do this!

Much of the best food here is in the one-offs, the dim sum palaces, the random qinghai beef noodle joints, the open-plan restaurants above wet markets, the cha chaan teng, the Taiwan/Japan ramen noodle places, the list goes on.

And on top of the awesome international/Guangdong culinary diversity here, Shenzhen is an hour's drive north and features probably the best agglomeration of all types of Chinese foods anywhere in the world as well.
    Coolboy, Skyhook and GeoTommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    I also dont like washing of untensils and dishware at the local places. With Fairwood, I can ask for a takeaway box and plastic fork and disappear into the crowd to eat. With the local eateries you can ask for takeway but they will stare you down while you are eating it there if you do so. Not worth the scene IMO.
    Do you mean you get it in the plastic packaging and then just eat it in the restaurant anyway? I'm not a flag-waving Greenpeace tree-hugger but that kinda wastes a lot of plastic, especially in this day and age of straw-free Saturdays and news abt microplastics
    jgl and hullexile like this.

Yup, that's what I do. Better than contracting Hepatitis, Herpes or some other nasty bug IMO. While its not "green" neither is a lot of the other bad habits in this town IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jack55:
    stick to shopping malls
    Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    Much of the best food here is in the one-offs
    Just look at all these sheeple flocking to the new V Walk mall at Nam Cheong station, it's all the same shops and restaurants just like every other big shopping mall (especially Sun Hung Kai malls):

https://ps.hket.com/article/2411601/

So you should support non-chains, family restaurants, cooked food markets whenever you can.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoTommy:
    So you should support non-chains, family restaurants, cooked food markets whenever you can.
    Agree with the sentiment - but in honesty, I preferentially patronise these places just because the food tastes better!

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    Agree with the sentiment - but in honesty, I preferentially patronise these places just because the food tastes better!
    Yeah I agree with you. Just some people can't accept some intestinal reconciliation for the said good food. I've been to V Walk cuz it's close to me. Disappointing that it's just a bunch of chain restaurants. Just literally a whole bunch of sheeple not buying anything and just eating. I like to mix it up a little. Malls and aircon especially during summer time is nice lol.

California is quite a tax heavy state, no? So 150K USD in HK would be taxed a lot less than in California? But then I suppose if you wanted to keep your US residency, you'd still have to pay the difference back to the US Govt?

But, I heard if you make it to senior engineering position in Silicon Valley, your comp can get up to 500K USD per year? (See the TechLead in YouTube).

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckFan:
    California is quite a tax heavy state, no? So 150K USD in HK would be taxed a lot less than in California? But then I suppose if you wanted to keep your US residency, you'd still have to pay the difference back to the US Govt?

But, I heard if you make it to senior engineering position in Silicon Valley, your comp can get up to 500K USD per year? (See the TechLead in YouTube).
    I'm not really a Software Engineer but that's more likely if you're principal, w/ masters in CS from ivy, or have enough experience to build your own solutions and probably can start your own company but just prefer the job security of an established company. I'm more SecDevOps than a software developer btw
    Last edited by Geoduck; 24-09-2019 at 04:51 PM.

Found this page that lists salaries for quite a few companies in the Silicon Valley (and other US locations): https://www.levels.fyi/

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10