Like Tree103Likes

Is giving up a $150k Engineering job in Silicon Valley to move to HK a bad idea?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    I think you are thinking of coming to HK for the wrong reasons. There may be more interest initially but you will soon realise that there are significant cultural differences which need to be overcome.

Back to your career. It should be easy to get a visa but jobs in the IT industry are typically badly paid compared to most expat jobs. You will also unlikely be working with new or up to date technology and could end up getting stuck here.
    Yes there will be significant cultural differences to.overcome but many posters on here have achieved just that. Should people never date foreigners?
    GentleGeorge, Coolboy and si0001 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Yes there will be significant cultural differences to.overcome but many posters on here have achieved just that. Should people never date foreigners?
    I don't think that's what people are saying. But moving country just to "find women" seems really wrong. Perhaps I am old fashioned, but there are just as many women in the USA as here, if the OP cannot find a date he's probably doing something wrong and just because he can get a date in HK doesn't mean he would find happiness or meaningful relationships. Watching some of my colleagues date here, there are big differences in the dating culture. Perhaps that's what the OP needs. Perhaps not. But it does seem like a really silly reason to leave a good job!

Annual leave for MNCs are generous, I have always had 25 days annual leave and business travel on the weekend would add additional leave days so it ended up being quite nice. Yet not enough for the travel I like to do.

There are a lot of low paying IT jobs. There is an article of a rags to middle class Chinese girl who worked in Shenzhen in IT at CNY4000/month and now is working in the US for Google (not sure if directly or indirectly). There are also high paying jobs but I doubt you could just pick up here and get one off the bat. You could try and get lucky but I would think you'll be starting off low unless you are an awesome networker, negotiator and talker. But if you are a smooth talker with no results, that also won't work here.

The Chinese who come back after educated overseas, well there is a reason for it, typically they couldn't make it in the west, couldn't secure a job - yes I'm generalizing but my uni had a lot of Asian and they either went to Google, Facebook or home so that is my observation - most tried to stay overseas as long as possible. So yes there are lots of educated people but that doesn't mean much - I also know a number of friends from uni who could never get a job. Those who come back and work in HK are very HK or Chinese like which is very culturally different. Anyway, my partner is from HK also educated overseas but it was a large adjustment for me. I don't think most Americans could do it.

Yes, whether you are dating an educated person or not, you'll be expected to help the family, so make sure you are not tight with your money otherwise you'll just set yourself up for future arguments.

Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    If you like places like Sai Kung and Lantau, live there and save on rent. I enjoy coming home to my "no motorized traffic" tranquil environment at night with cool sea breezes.
    I don't think a guy who is keen to move here to hook up would be interested in living in rural places like Sai Kung and Lantau...

I would be a bit wary of hooking up with girls online here... granted I have no personal experience doing this. There are indeed some keen to take advantage of men, and you should read carefully some of the threads about men who were drugged at bars. There was an extreme case of a man murdered in Shenzhen over a bad property purchase (though nothing to do with an "online hooked up").
    @hullexile I hope I'm getting this right (you may disagree?) -- there are many women here as domestic helpers, and they are lovely, caring, hard-working women, but they are also keen to escape their life of service, and a good marriage is one way. It's wonderful if you can find someone who will be happy to have a loving relationship with you, but it's also easy to take advantage of them.

My point is, if you don't use some caution and take your interests seriously in a genuine way, there could indeed be some trouble out there waiting for a well-paid, naive America fresh off the boat (and likewise, some men who can't control themselves)...

Learn their language, culture, join meetups... it can be a great experience, and yes, you might find life a lot more interesting and exciting. But don't come here without an exit strategy -- there's some serious shit going on in HK right now and the lifestyle is hard after awhile.

You can easily find a relationship here. After your first date HK people jump to we are boyfriend/girlfriend. I hope you like carrying women's purses and buying real LV or Hermes bag for your women. It just cost money. It's quite rare to not see this case with an interracial relationship.

People here want relationship, want to move out of their public housing or their parents home. It's hard to find people who don't fit in these categories. You have to look at the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I don't think that's what people are saying. But moving country just to "find women" seems really wrong. Perhaps I am old fashioned, but there are just as many women in the USA as here, if the OP cannot find a date he's probably doing something wrong and just because he can get a date in HK doesn't mean he would find happiness or meaningful relationships. Watching some of my colleagues date here, there are big differences in the dating culture. Perhaps that's what the OP needs. Perhaps not. But it does seem like a really silly reason to leave a good job!

I am chinese, and my friends in Bay Area who are Asian and career minded typically don’t have as much success with dating here. I am mid 30s, so approaching 40, I can’t just think about work because although a career is important, it’s not everything in life to me.
    snjt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoduck:
    I am chinese, and my friends in Bay Area who are Asian and career minded typically don’t have as much success with dating here. I am mid 30s, so approaching 40, I can’t just think about work because although a career is important, it’s not everything in life to me.
    I think if you had mentioned you were chinese earlier, you might have got different answers. That makes much more sense. However, are you "Chinese" as in Chinese nationality, speak Chinese, understand Chinese culture or "Chinese" as in "my parents migrated a few generations ago and I'm really American but look Chinese"?

If you are Chinese with any level of actual Chineseness, it will make life easier here for you. But if you are really an American and having difficulty dating because Americans are racist, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    You can easily find a relationship here. After your first date HK people jump to we are boyfriend/girlfriend. I hope you like carrying women's purses and buying real LV or Hermes bag for your women. It just cost money. It's quite rare to not see this case with an interracial relationship.

People here want relationship, want to move out of their public housing or their parents home. It's hard to find people who don't fit in these categories. You have to look at the numbers.
    I think you need to get out more. FFS what a stereotype. Never see that but hey if that's the people you hang out with it says a lot.
    Skyhook, Kowloon Goon, bdw and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    @hullexile I hope I'm getting this right (you may disagree?) -- there are many women here as domestic helpers, and they are lovely, caring, hard-working women, but they are also keen to escape their life of service, and a good marriage is one way. It's wonderful if you can find someone who will be happy to have a loving relationship with you, but it's also easy to take advantage of them..
    All relationships vary of course be that within cultures or cross culturally. The biggest and most common issue I have seen is western men who feel that because they have "rescued the helper from poverty" then they are entitled to eternal gratitude and control their girlfriend/wife. Those relationships are pretty much doomed. If the western man stays alive and does not succumb to "Filipino divorce" (killed by a hitman riding in tandem hired by his wife) then they will split with her having taken most of his money and sometimes pregnant by a local man. I have no sympathy for those men (including an infamous poster on here who got stung for 12 million peso).

You do not have to support the extended family, I know plenty who don't.
    Elegiaque, MandM! and Fiona in HKG like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I think if you had mentioned you were chinese earlier, you might have got different answers. That makes much more sense. However, are you "Chinese" as in Chinese nationality, speak Chinese, understand Chinese culture or "Chinese" as in "my parents migrated a few generations ago and I'm really American but look Chinese"?

If you are Chinese with any level of actual Chineseness, it will make life easier here for you. But if you are really an American and having difficulty dating because Americans are racist, not so much.
    I guess I would consider myself chinese ethnicity but American nationality. I was born in Malaysia, speak fluent Cantonese and some mandarin. Don’t know much about Malaysian culture and never been back since parents migrated to America when I was 3.

Yes, getting around speaking Cantonese was very easy for me. I just can’t read or write.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast