Like Tree103Likes

Is giving up a $150k Engineering job in Silicon Valley to move to HK a bad idea?

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

AWS just opened an HK cloud and are ramping up... I bet they are desperate for US trained talent at the moment.

snjt likes this.

Moving to HK from overseas, as a single male, is an adventure I would best describe it. I remember all those years ago (ok, it was 6 years) and the dating apps were not as well developed now but it was quite an active dating/social life to be had then. I'd say you would get a lot more choice here for sure, I have dated 50/50 Asian and non and I think living back in the UK my experience wouldn't be so interesting & diverse. My experience is that a lot of non Asian women (white and black women) here are quite keen to date Asian guys

There is nothing wrong with moving here for your love life because ultimately after dating around for a while, everyone wants to find a life partner and in HK you will have a lot of choice and everyone wants to have a better choice to find the right one.

lol at female comments in this thread.

OP, the reason to come to Hong Kong to find a great girl and get married is completely legitimate. Move to HK and thank me later. Try the finance sector to find better paid tech jobs. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by fletcher:
    My take, it is a battle between money and being single forever. Love conquers all they say.
    If you are a US citizen with skills, then moving to HK to find love is not a bad idea.
    You can always go back to the US as fallback if everything fails.
    Go back to California as a fallback? Companies are dying to hire 40+ year olds at his salary? I think him coming back to US finding the same pay after an unemployed stint in HK could be challenging. Plus he said he has no property in the states. So what would he be coming back to?

Quote Originally Posted by SonicYouth1:
    Moving to HK from overseas, as a single male, is an adventure I would best describe it. I remember all those years ago (ok, it was 6 years) and the dating apps were not as well developed now but it was quite an active dating/social life to be had then. I'd say you would get a lot more choice here for sure, I have dated 50/50 Asian and non and I think living back in the UK my experience wouldn't be so interesting & diverse. My experience is that a lot of non Asian women (white and black women) here are quite keen to date Asian guys

There is nothing wrong with moving here for your love life because ultimately after dating around for a while, everyone wants to find a life partner and in HK you will have a lot of choice and everyone wants to have a better choice to find the right one.
    You mean as someone who is 22/23 or someone who is almost 40 years old?

Desperately trying to talk a cow out of a clover field...

He can come. More demand on housing. I don't mind.

Find a job first. Plenty of places will pay you 1.1MM and much more, if you are good. Between the lower taxes and the better guy to girl ratio here, I think you will do just fine.

GentleGeorge likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by aceofangel:
    Find a job first. Plenty of places will pay you 1.1MM and much more, if you are good. Between the lower taxes and the better guy to girl ratio here, I think you will do just fine.
    "Cash, lash and gash"

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    AWS just opened an HK cloud and are ramping up... I bet they are desperate for US trained talent at the moment.
    Language skills are very important if you don't have something otherwise exceptional to offer

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast